THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fillmore Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
OKay guys, I'm sorry for dropping this tubby question at the last moment. Here are the details.

Just got done building an outdoor BBQ area: DCS 30" grill, DCS 48" grill, Pittmaker Vault, Ariz BBQ outfitters 48" Santa Maria style grill, double burner, large frig, sink, lots of counter top, etc .

I wasn't planning on doing my first run until a few weeks from now....but at the last moment the wife suggested we have some friends over and so I ran to the store and bought me some fresh beef ribs and chicken....both of which have been hit with seasoning rub hours ago and are in the frig as I type. The plan is to cook tomorrow for dinner. Not some contest, just a meal.

My background...not much as compared to you guys. I mostly just grilled and thought I was BBQ'ing. I also liked to take beef ribs, apply rub, seal in a bag, let sit in a water bath for 48 hours at low temp...remove from bag, expose to smoke and then finish for grill marks on a hot grill...it was VERY good...as good or better then anything I've had at a restaurant.

I've almost no experience with charcoal...but I picked-up a whole bunch and some nice wood chunks. I'd like to use the Vault. From what I've read I should cook at 230 degrees for about 3 hours. I don't know about wrapping in foil after a couple hours or any of that other stuff. My plan was to cook in the Vault for a couple hours and then remove it and finish it over the grate of the Santa Maria grill...but that's just guessing.

I've never fired-up the Vault but i can't imagine it needs a break-in. I don't know how much charcoal to load into the bottom and I'm guessing I'll douse it with some starter fluid and then play with the air intake and exhaust to get the temp around 230

Aw crap, I was going to ask some guy who lives near me (and know the Vault) to come over and show me the way but he's not available. Should I forgo the Vault and just stick with the grill or what? Can someone give me some basic instructions. I'm not trying to win a contest or knock it out of the park...just get this food fairly impressively cooked. Heck, it's just a matter of fresh meat, good seasoning, heat & time....surely I can pull this off and throw in some excuses about how it's my first time, etc.

Thanks for whatever help can be offered.

-Steve

guys, I went to the Pitmaker website and read the manual on the Vault. Got it: I'll season it properly and set up the charcoal & wood as shown...I think I can get that down.

What I need is how many hours and what temp to run this at for the ribs and the chicken...the cook time sounds pretty similar: 230 for 3 hours

Could i still short the cook time and finish on the grill for some good char marks and basting with sauce?

Wow, sounds like a pretty bold endeavor for the first time cook on a vault? I'd be curious as to how this comes out if you did in fact use the vault.....keep us posted.

Read the instruction manual....about 7 times before half of it sank in. Been a long time since i read anything, let alone a manual

I also spoke with another forum member who is in Texas so that alone almost ensures success....are to argue with him? Didn't think so....lol

Poured in charcoal, lit the corner, temp is about 225 and I'm getting ready to shut the valve down to the size of my thumb...from what I'm told these things like to cruise at 275 and that's arguably a solid number. I seasoned the interior and will add meat soon. I'm gonna give it 3 hours and then finish on the grill for some nice grill marks and basting. Feeling confident....the energy of the BBQ Bretheren and our forefathers be with me!

Oh, and hell no to lighter fluid to get the charcoal started. On my list is a weed torch but my propane torch did the job just fine. Had to wait an hour for the chamber to get up to temp but no biggy.

There are many ways to skin a cat, I'm just looking to plate a reasonable meal for my first go-around. Worse case scenario we're eating at a local restaurant but i'm not about to lose this ship just yet...I'll get it. :)

Good for you, curious though? What would local restaurant of choice be in Fillmore? I spend quite a bit of time in your parts other than Mexican food (Which I love) what else is there?

Good for you, curious though? What would local restaurant of choice be in Fillmore? I spend quite a bit of time in your parts other than Mexican food (Which I love) what else is there?

I actually live in Woodland Hills and we have a 10-acre orchard in Bardsdale, which is just next to Fillmore. It's a cute little town and I'm certain it'll grow substantially over the next decade....but for now restaurants are limited to a bunch of Mexican food places. There's a great place called Yanni's which is surprisingly tasty. The town has a Central Grill which is fair..but beyond that it's IHOP and the typical fast-food places. That town could use a solid restaurant in the worst way. Since they're building more upscale homes and some more shopping malls I'm certain we're due for a Chili's, Applebee's or some kind of typical chain restaurant.

Oh, and there's a BBQ place in the mall but it's HORRIBLE....I think they use disinfectant in their BBQ sauce, the beans are beyond bland, the chicken dry and everything is off...no idea how they stay in business; worse BBQ I've ever tasted...they could be brought before a culinary tribuneral and found guilty of committing crimes against food!! :icon_shy

So reportign on my experience.....

Everything was going along great and when my temp hit 225 I closed the intake down and figured it would 'land' on 275...and that was my target cruising temp

Things took a horrible turn for the worse when I added a bunch of hot water to the water reservior. The instruction manual was clear about not adding water until the unit reached temperature....but as soon as I added water the temp crashed to 160 and didn't seem like it was coming up.

Down in the charcoal/wood box I was told to create a round 'pie' of about 14" and 3" tall...when I looked down there it all looked fairly burned-up so I decided to add more...which did little so I added a whole bunch more. It took 45 minutes and had the intake wide open but I never got hotter then 250

I expected the ribs and chicken to come out undercooked but my plan was to finish on the grill. When I opened the door I discovered everythign was completely cooked already! I now suspect the Vault's temp guage isn't accurate and the thing is running hotter then indicated.

I dunno, as confident as I felt going into this the prophecy is the learning curve hit me like a tubby bitch.

I went to finish on the grill but I think my DCS grills are running way too hot...even on 'low' the temp was really hot. Making matters worse my wife threw at me some hamburgers, hot dogs, corn and vegetables...as if I wasn't busy enough with the ribs & chicken. Guys, I started losing it...the burgers were a bit over done and the ribs and chicken also took a bit too much heat before I could pull them off.

In the end everyone said it was delicious and wonderful....a few admitted the chicken was a bit dry and overdone but still very good.

Me, I was upset, disappointed and not feeling too good about it. I told everyone it was my first run at a new unit so they understood. It honestly wasn't that bad, I've had many meals at restaurants that weren't as good...but still, we strive for something impressive and in my book this was absolutely not!

Lesson learned....

I'm thinking 275 is too darn hot, I think I'll drop it down to 230 on the next run

The water reservior, I'll need to revisit that application...perhaps I misread the instructions. Perhaps a pot of water instead of the entire pan being filled with 1-1.5" of water...and adding it after it reaches temp makes no sense...gotta figure that out!!

The seasoning...I used too much rub and you could taste a bit of gritty texture on the chicken. Also too much salt in something I sprinkled on. I may go back to just marinating in BBQ sauce, slow cooking and basting...say what you will but it comes out great and smiles all around.

I've got a few other ideas too....and so the process begins. Any and all thoughts welcome, thanks

Oh, and there's a BBQ place in the mall but it's HORRIBLE....I think they use disinfectant in their BBQ sauce, the beans are beyond bland, the chicken dry and everything is off...no idea how they stay in business; worse BBQ I've ever tasted...they could be brought before a culinary tribuneral and found guilty of committing crimes against food!! :icon_shy
Been to Yannis, I've stared in wonderment at that BBQ place probably 50 times from the parking lot area at Starbucks and never built the courage to go in. Thanks for the report that BBQ place will be one less thing on my mind.

So reportign on my experience.....

Everything was going along great and when my temp hit 225 I closed the intake down and figured it would 'land' on 275...and that was my target cruising temp

Things took a horrible turn for the worse when I added a bunch of hot water to the water reservior. The instruction manual was clear about not adding water until the unit reached temperature....but as soon as I added water the temp crashed to 160 and didn't seem like it was coming up.

Down in the charcoal/wood box I was told to create a round 'pie' of about 14" and 3" tall...when I looked down there it all looked fairly burned-up so I decided to add more...which did little so I added a whole bunch more. It took 45 minutes and had the intake wide open but I never got hotter then 250

I expected the ribs and chicken to come out undercooked but my plan was to finish on the grill. When I opened the door I discovered everythign was completely cooked already! I now suspect the Vault's temp guage isn't accurate and the thing is running hotter then indicated.

I dunno, as confident as I felt going into this the prophecy is the learning curve hit me like a tubby bitch.

I went to finish on the grill but I think my DCS grills are running way too hot...even on 'low' the temp was really hot. Making matters worse my wife threw at me some hamburgers, hot dogs, corn and vegetables...as if I wasn't busy enough with the ribs & chicken. Guys, I started losing it...the burgers were a bit over done and the ribs and chicken also took a bit too much heat before I could pull them off.

In the end everyone said it was delicious and wonderful....a few admitted the chicken was a bit dry and overdone but still very good.

Me, I was upset, disappointed and not feeling too good about it. I told everyone it was my first run at a new unit so they understood. It honestly wasn't that bad, I've had many meals at restaurants that weren't as good...but still, we strive for something impressive and in my book this was absolutely not!

Lesson learned....

I'm thinking 275 is too darn hot, I think I'll drop it down to 230 on the next run

The water reservior, I'll need to revisit that application...perhaps I misread the instructions. Perhaps a pot of water instead of the entire pan being filled with 1-1.5" of water...and adding it after it reaches temp makes no sense...gotta figure that out!!

The seasoning...I used too much rub and you could taste a bit of gritty texture on the chicken. Also too much salt in something I sprinkled on. I may go back to just marinating in BBQ sauce, slow cooking and basting...say what you will but it comes out great and smiles all around.

I've got a few other ideas too....and so the process begins. Any and all thoughts welcome, thanks

You cannot depend on the temp gauge on the Vault. I use the Cyber Q for tracking my temps. there can be up to 100 degree variance from reality to your door temp gauge from my experience. I have adjusted mine, but still do not depend on it.

I've had my Vault for a short time and have received lots of great advice from the Bretheren. My first recommendation would be to secure a good digit pit temp thermometer (like maverick). My second recommendation is to use hot water when using the water pan. I boil a huge stock pot. That being said, the food is too steamed IMO when water is used. I go dry with a small hot fire. I preheat with Propane torch to within 30-50 degrees of final pit temp. I leave my exhaust stack wide open and try my best to control temps with the air intake only. Sometimes my ball valve is barely open when I hold temps below 250. With this efficient of a unit I believe you can cook slightly hotter, because your not losing the moisture from the cooking cavity.

Good luck with your future cooks.

Been to Yannis, I've stared in wonderment at that BBQ place probably 50 times from the parking lot area at Starbucks and never built the courage to go in. Thanks for the report that BBQ place will be one less thing on my mind.

The term Epic Failure comes to mind and everyone in that town knows the place is rotten...no idea how they stay in business! Have a beer n' steer clear! :razz:

You cannot depend on the temp gauge on the Vault. I use the Cyber Q for tracking my temps. there can be up to 100 degree variance from reality to your door temp gauge from my experience. I have adjusted mine, but still do not depend on it. My first recommendation would be to secure a good digit pit temp thermometer (like maverick).

DONE.....pulled the trigger on 2 units last night, good call, thanks!

My second recommendation is to use hot water when using the water pan. I boil a huge stock pot. That being said, the food is too steamed IMO when water is used.

Same thinking here. I'm going to pass on putting water directly into the bottom reservior. I think/suspect having the entire bottom of the chamber entirely covered with water is problematic...it means much of the heat has to get past this wet barrier in order to heat the chamber...that's going to be a LOT of moisture, too much. Instead I'll opt for a nice big pan set on the bottom rack and I'll fill it with searing hot water to start with.

I go dry with a small hot fire. I preheat with Propane torch to within 30-50 degrees of final pit temp. I leave my exhaust stack wide open and try my best to control temps with the air intake only. Sometimes my ball valve is barely open when I hold temps below 250. With this efficient of a unit I believe you can cook slightly hotter, because your not losing the moisture from the cooking cavity.

Good info. I'm still learning to play with it. Because my Vault is mounted into a counter I had to extend the 2" pipe coming out of the Vault...it turns 90-degrees and comes forward where I attached a gate valve because it looks better and is easy to read. I think I'm obstruct the air flow a bit but nothing too significant. As everyone has said, I'll need to tinker with this 1/2-ton smoker to learn it's personality. Thanks!

Congratulations on the Vault. I did a little testing with mine and found that the thermometer in the door is off by 75-80 degrees, so definitely don't go by it. This was tested using a Maverick ET-732 and a Stoker Pit probe.

Back