Help/Tips - Pulled Pork for 40 ???

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Scott
Hey Brethren,

Looking for help/tips on making pulled pork for a crowd. Next weekend I'm making pulled pork for 40. It will be for a homeless shelter. I'm excited to help. I've never made anything more than a few butts for friends. This is a bit different. But here are the highlights...

1. I'm using a 18.5 WSM.
2. I need to make enough for 40 guys, how much should I make (pre-cook weight)?
3. I need to deliver it (cold) on Monday @ 6 P.M. but I'm out of town the three days before that. So, I'm looking to make it 6-7 days beforehand and keep it in the fridge. Thoughts? Do I keep it "whole" and shred it on that Monday...or...do shred and store in the fridge?

Recipe wise I'm probably going with an inject/rub/wrap similar to Chris Lilly's paths, unless anyone has any suggestions based on what works better for quantity.

THANKS for your help Brethren!

Welcome to the BBQ Revival!

I was thinking that. Do you think I could/should cook it to a "lower" temp than I would normally pull it off the smoker?...and then...reheat in oven to pull?

I'd cook it, pull it, put it in 1 gallon zip locks, [maybe freeze it,
then thaw it 2 days prior] and tell them to heat it up in 190f or so water before serving. It will definitely last more than a week in your cold fridge.
I'd cook about 24 pounds pre- weight.

I'd cook it, pull it, put it in 1 gallon zip locks, [maybe freeze it,
then thaw it 2 days prior] and tell them to heat it up in 190f or so water before serving. It will definitely last more than a week in your cold fridge.
I'd cook about 24 pounds pre- weight.

That 18” has multiple racks? I’d get four 8-9lbs butts. Two butts per rack. Butt is cheap. Might as well fill that WSM up

For guys figure 8 ounces cooked, which will be generous, and figure 50% yield, so you need 1 lb. raw per person. You could go with 6 ounces cooked, 12 ounces raw and probably be fine.

As far as cooking in advance, I would pull it and vacuum seal, and then it can easily be reheated in hot water.

Another for pulling and freezing. I like to error on the side of caution and go with Ron's 1lb raw per person.

Back