THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aceszx7

Found some matches.
So I am cooking a couple pork shoulders and went to bed last night after the meat had been on for about 8 hours and internal temps were about 174 and 167 respectively. I woke up and the smoker was cold and the shoulders were at 167 and 160 respectively. I moved one of the probes to just immediately below the surface and temp slowly fell to 136 and then I saw 130 before the smoker fired up again. The question- smoke on or toss em’?

I’m just not sure how long surface temps were below 140, maybe the fact the internal temp was still warm enough it kept the surface temps relatively safe?

It's got plenty of smoke after 8hrs so to make life easier I'd simply turn on my oven, wrap them and finish in the oven.

Jason speaks sooth. That's the fastest way to get them back in the heat. If they are still at that temperature the fire did not go out all that long ago. Especially in Illinois.

At those temps you are fine. Remember you're gonna eat a steak well under 150 and think it's awesome. The only reason you need to get a butt up to 180+ is because you have to melt that collagen and make it nice and tender.

The food is basically cooked, safe and edible... just not real delicious yet. As advised, slam it in the oven and get the temps up to tenderise.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Like Jason said, fire up the oven, wrap them and finish them there. Your temps are fine and the meat is already cooked past minimum safe temps to serve. Rock and roll, enjoy the pulled pork, and post some pictures when they're done!

Prior to you going to bed when your shoulders were 174 and 167 many of us would have wrapped to finish them. The shoulders are definitely still fine and I would wrap to finish (grill or in an oven).

The folks you feed will never know if you don't tell them!

Have fun!

Thanks for all the feedback and putting my mind at ease!

Here’s a pic last night about 8 hours in....and yes I built a little “smoke shack” for the winter to keep things more comfortable. [/ATTACH]

Attachments

You're probably good to go but you're absolutely correct in being cautious about the temps, so keep that aspect of diligence. Just because something has been cooked doesn't negate the possibility of bacteria reforming once you're dropping back into the temperature danger zone.

Good thing is most rubs have salt and they help to kill bacteria, and smoke is also a preservative and kills surface bacteria, so you'll be just fine. Butts look good so far!

Back