THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow those LOOK GREAT! I usually shy away from bean recipes that use canned beans but I might make those this summer.When I make Rendezvous Ribs I like a sweet bean recipe to offset the ribs and vinegar coleslaw.

I always make them from scratch which includes soaking dried beans and putting them on the lower shelf of the WSM when doing a Butt or Brisket (gives a nice Porky-Beef flavour!!)

If you want the recipe I can dig it out tonight when I get home.

I like bush's baked beans, throw in a bottle of your favorite cheap bbq sauce, cut up an onion, some salt pork, put it in the oven or on the smoker for a couple of hours...I prefer the smoker for the obvious reason(smoke):biggrin:

I'll second this recipe!

If you want the recipe I can dig it out tonight when I get home.
Please, the more recipes to try the better. Thirdeye’s Pinto recipe that uses the twice-smoked hocks is good. I’ve made it 6 or 7 times since last summer. I’ve gotten away from using Pintos and soaking. I like the mayocoba beans better than pintos. They hold their shape better on longer cooks and have a smother texture than pintos.

Here is my standard pot bean recipe I make once a week.

1 pound beans
¼ to ½ an onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lard (homemade) or oil
7 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons salt*

Preheat oven to 225°F to 250°F. In a 3 ½ quart dutch oven sauté the onion in the lard or oil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile rinse and sort the beans in cold water. When the onions are starting to become translucent add the boiling water, salt, and beans; return to a boil. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes, cover and place in the oven. Cook for 4 to 5 hours or until done. Add any acidic ingredients such as tomatoes, chiles, vinegar, chili powder etc., at the end of cooking.

Your oven temperature, water amount, and cooking time will vary depending on the age of your beans, the size of your beans and the altitude you are at. You can also make this in a crock-pot cooked on high (which I do during the hot summer months).

My cooking times vary from 2 hours using fresh dried pintos to 8 hours with the mayocoba beans (once again they hold their shape during long cooks).

*Note: Salt will not harden the beans during cooking. In fact the beans will absorb the salted water during cooking. If you add salt at the end of cooking all you are doing is salting the broth and not the beans. If you have reservations on not presoaking your beans and adding the salt up front…DON’T. I guarantee that they will come out good.

Here's the recipe I use. It's always being changed but here's the current version...

500-750g (1-1.5lbs) of dried Pinto, yellow eyed peas, or I tend to use a mix of Dried black eyed beans, pinto beans, alubia beans, red kidney beans, dutch brown beans, baby lima, butter beans & haricot beans - Soaked overnight
300g (10oz) of thick cut chunky smokey bacon lardons
300g (10oz) (or more) Smoked Pulled Pork or chopped Brisket or both
1 large or 2 medium onions chopped
1 large or 2 medium green peppers chopped real fine
2-4 garlic cloves crushed and chopped finely
125ml (0.5cup) Molasses
125ml (0.5cup) Heinz Ketchup or Tomato based BBQ Sauce
250ml (1 cup) Dark Beer (Newcastle Brown Ale or Similar Bitter)
140g (0.3cup) Molasses Sugar (or Brown if you can't get it)
6 Tbls of Colemans Yellow or Maille Djion Mustard
1-2 Tbls Hot Sauce (to taste)
0.25 Tsp ground cloves
Crushed Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Cover Beans with Fresh Water, bring to boild, turn down to simmer cook for about 1.5 hours until tender. Skim scum from beans whilst they cook. Drain Beans but save 500ml (2 cups) of the bean broth liquid

Heat Large Pan on stove top and throw in a little oil and fry bacon until coloured, throw in onions and pepper, fry a little more until soft, throw in garlic and fry for another min or two.

Put Beans, Molasses, Ketchup (or BBQ Sauce), Sugar, Mustard, Hot Sauce and ground cloves, beer and a large pinch of pepper and a little salt into pan. Top Pan up with bean broth so beans are covered by an inch or two. Give mix a good stir. Bring back up on the heat to a simmer. Transfer to container suitable for smoker if you don't want to get stove pan dirty!!!

Put Beans in Smoker for 2-3 hours over Hickory at about 250. Check after an hour and give a good stir. If they are drying out too much add a little more of the bean liquid.

Don't forget to drink rest of beer whilst waiting! :razz:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I tried the hog-apple bean recipe for our teacher appreciation cook and they went nuts over them beans. It was like they never had anything like that before. Ed.

Diane's Baked Beans (she's pissed at me for given this out)
Tell Diane her beans were awesome:-D
abts.jpg

One thing though, I couldn't get them to thicken up so I had to add some corn starch. Does Diane drain the beans any before hand?

Back