THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Probably another silly azz question, but is a Boston Butt and a pork shoulder essentially the same thing? I.e... If I’m in my local grocery store looking for a B.B. but all I see is a pork shoulder... same thing or not.

I say yes. What say ye learned gentlemen?

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. The "butt" is actually a shoulder. Many moons ago in the Boston/New England areas they packed the pork shoulders in a wooden cask called a "butt". AKA Boston Butt. Some places the name stuck,some not.

16Adams beat me to it. Most stores around these parts call the Boston butt a pork shoulder blade roast. They call the picnic portion a pork shoulder picnic roast.

Thanks guys.

Knucklehead most likely still doesn’t believe me, but he doesn’t “Q” anyway. He’s a professional BBQ restaurant BBQer.

It all started when he heard me tell my wife a Boston Butt might be labeled pork shoulder roast.

One of those guys. You know... When he thinks he knows, he’s done learning.

VR,
Harold

Thanks guys.

Knucklehead most likely still doesn’t believe me, but he doesn’t “Q” anyway. He’s a professional BBQ restaurant BBQer.

It all started when he heard me tell my wife a Boston Butt might be labeled pork shoulder roast.

One of those guys. You know... When he thinks he knows, he’s done learning.

VR,
Harold

Well, to be fair, a butt is not a shoulder. If i wanted a tattoo on my butt and got a tattoo on my shoulder, i would be pretty mad.

Back