Help! Hey whats that thing where you

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
Sounds like what Mom used to make and called it Swiss Steak, when thirdeye tossed the carrot slivers in the pot!

Barbefukoramaque

"Compadre" you are probably talking "CARNE DESHEBRADA" (shreded meat)

"machaca" is a missnomer the real name is "MACHACADO" , machacado is dried beef that is treated (ounce dried) by passing tru a gistmo that can be better described as a wringer or 2 rolling pins. Traditionaly is rehydrated, fried and mix with scrambled eggs. BTW is probably made out of Horse or ass, (donkey, burro) meat.

JV

Hmmmmm I think this could be it too... But I insist on smoking it instead of boiling it up to a point.

Gotta wait for our resident Hispanic expert.....You know the guy who would hit anything with a pulse.:biggrin:

LMAO!! The Hispanic, and "hit anything with a pulse are true", I'm not familiar with the word "expert!" Coyotero has a really good possibility there that I'm not familiar with.
I'm thinking Machaca too, but you also mentioned "stock" with chiles, onions etc, and tortillas.........this could be Huevos Rancheros too. Usually a reduced soupy mixture of onions, japenos, garlic, etc that is poured over some corn torts and then two eggs(over easy or sunny up) are put on top of that. This is a very famous hangover dish. Don't ask how I know. I just do!:shock:
Machaca that I know is usually pulled beef that's added to eggs(Prep is like making an omelette), then in go the veggies, peppers, maters, onion, cilantro. Turns out like a crispy omelette. Never baked it, don't even know if that's the way it should traditionally be prepared. I do know that it usually is dried beef, but smoked brisket would be much better IMO. I use either brisket or pulled pork. Both work nicely.
The barbacoa I'm familar with is beef cheeck meat with is FULL of fat and when done right, is kinda sticky. Cheek meat has tons of gelatin(can't think of the right term for it) as it cooks or breaks down is produces this gelatin. (probably the results of connective tissue breaking down.) I wrap the cheek in several layers of heavy duty foil and add some liquid to get it started(beer/half can). Then in go 2-3 bay leaves, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, some paprika for color, then into the oven or gasser or better earthen pit(hole in the ground) till it basically breaks down and can be shredded with a couple forks. From there, onto a corn tort, with some pico de gallo or a good hot red salas de arbol, hit it with salt one last time and devour with a cold beer!:-D Repeat process.
There is also desebrada which is brisket that has been braised in a pot with stock till it falls apart. Once it has been pulled it can go into things like tacos, flautas, huevos rancheros, or machaca. Could also be some form of a Picada or a picadillo.
Hope we can figure it out. Mexican and Tex Mex get mixed together pretty good sometimes and it's hard to tell the difference from one dish to another cause the prep and ingredients can be so varied from one place to another.

Last edited:
Salpicon, a preparation that uses shredded brisket slow cooked in a chile heavy sauce, then is dressed with salsa cruda, tomatoes, onions and peppers. Served either warm or cold with tortillas. Often referred to as brisket salad.

I thought Birria is pit roasted goat? Or did those guys working on my crew make me eat that goat for giggles, like that tepin potato burrito, dang that was hot.

I thought Birria is pit roasted goat? Or did those guys working on my crew make me eat that goat for giggles, like that tepin potato burrito, dang that was hot.

It is goat most of the time, but I think sometimes beef or pork is substituted cause of the smell and taste that goat has and that not everyone likes. Never made it myself, but had some good batches of it at parties and a few mom and pop restaurants.

sounds like brisket ranchero to me. don't forget the comino.

Yeah, but then you would have to call it El Camino. :biggrin:

elcamino.jpg

Sounds to me like what is sometimes called spicy barbacoa out here in San Angelo. I know barbacoa is traditionally made from cheek meat, but most burrito shacks have a hard time finding cheek meat consistently or customers every day who want the cheek meat. Because of the lack of continuity, they sub the cheek meat with brisket used in the same recipe.

Back