THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allenave

Got Wood.
Hello Everyone.

I've been lurking on the site for a while now, and I thought it was time to introduce myself.

I was first introduced to this magical thing called BBQ by an uncle of mine about eight or ten years ago. He has lived in TX for about 25 years, and late one night he and I were talking after a few adult beverages..and he started to tell me about 'que. He had gotten bit quite hard by the bug. Not only did he have a smaller offset at his house, but he also had a larger rig mounted on a trailer that he and some buds had started going to some contests with..and had even placed at some of the contests. He kind of went over the basics with me that first night.
I was fascinated, so when I got home I searched the web and found site that had a faq. I downloaded it and printed it out..my god! It must have been three hundred pages long. I read it and so began to learn about all the different styles and kinds of cookers and fuels and recipes..my head was spinning.
The next time I ran into him, I 'prin near drove him crazy with all the questions I had. We talked for hours..again over adult beverages. ( hmm. seems to be bit of a reoccurring theme here :rolleyes:) I learned he was very much "old school". He doesn't use thermometers, just feels the heat with his hand. That kind of old school.
I, on the other hand, am known as the "gadget man" by friends and family. My knickname is "the sporting goodsman". :-D
About a year later he came up to Mn to cook the wedding dinner for a cousin of mine that was getting married. Brisket and chicken. He brought with him two offsets. A smaller Smokey Joe, and a larger New Brunsfel. He asked me to be his helper..and of course I did. It was awesome!!
At the reception, the brisket was a slow mover out of the gate..but after people started trying it more than one came back for seconds. Most everyone was raving like lunatics over the food. We talked during the course of the day and he agreed to sell me which ever one of the two smokers I wanted, "cause you can't get a good smokers up here in Mn." ( A direct quote.) ...and he left me the remainder of his mesquite wood. I chose the New Brunsfel.
So I've been learning and 'queing ever since. It has been an absolute blast for the most part.

A couple of months back I ran across this site. I really liked the mix of people and knowledge that was being shared back and forth. But the real clinker was the "pron". My God, what a fantastic idea! I thought only magazines did that sort of stuff...now you guys got me drooling all over my desk at work. Plus after seeing the pics, you just gotta try some of those tasty creations for yourself!! I bought a pretty good digital camera a year ago and never even thought about taking pics of the food.
Yesterday I and the neighbor, ( funny how when people know you are breaking out the pit they want to join in. It's all part of the party I say..)
'Qued up some fatties, some ABT's, some beef ribs and some pork butt. I made some mustard sauce for the pulled pork..Rocksie's recipe..and made some sammies with the coleslaw. First time I tried that..Mann..my taste buds about broke my neck slappin' me on the back of the head wondering why it took so long to try that. I'm definatly trying that again. I took pics of everything.
Now I am finally at the 'crux of the question" as they say. The very reason I de-lurked and broke cover. (besides to introduce myself..I wanna play on this here playground my own self!! :-D:-D) I have never posted pics to the internet before and I'm not sure how to do it. The threads I like best are the ones that have the photos sort of intermixed as the story is told. I noticed something called photobucket..and I'm guessing it is some sort of a storage on the net off site for the pics. How do I use it? I see an attach file at the bottom..I'll try that for one pic and see if it works. I read something about re-sizing the pics, but what size is best? Help my new found brothers.
I think this whole new deal is going to be a hoot!!:cool::cool:

I am maybe figuring it out a bit. I see I got one to post (using the preview). How do I write after posting a pic? So it can be story..post..story..post. Like that?

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 41
WELCOME - Allenave!!!!

As for the story pic, story pic.... Go get yourself a FREE photobucket account. Then make an album, upload pics... NEXT TO EVERY PIC, are codes.... Use the IMG CODE...
Click next to the box, pc will automatically COPY the code... ThEN simply paste the code in your "story."

Thats the only way I know how.... :)

Thanks everyone. I plan to play around with Photobucket tonight after work and see if I can manage to post something over in the que thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back