THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NU2QN

Hello everyone,

I reside in Coalinga, CA. Home of Harris Ranch Beef. I'm sure some of the more serious Qers have heard of Harris Ranch. I am currently cooking on a UDS I recently built. I have been cooking on a Weber 22.5 Kettle for the last 12 years. Prior to that, and I am ashamed to say, I cooked on a gas grill.

Twelve years ago or so, my gas grill was crapping out and needed a serious overhaul. Succumbing to extreme peer pressure, I purchased the Weber Kettle Silver. After my first cook, I vowed never to return to gas.

About 7 years ago, my brother-in-law made some of the best Tri-Tip I had ever had. He showed me how he cooked it. A 55 gallon drum with holes cut out of the bottom sides and holes in the top sides. I was shocked at how little effort he put in to cooking the Tri Tip. When my wife and I got married, he and his wife insisted on cooking for our wedding. Little did I know, the barrel he was cooking on he had recently made to give to me as a wedding present.

About a year and a half ago, he invited me to help him in a competition in Mariposa, CA. I was hooked. The people and food were great. I must have seen a hundred different varieties of smokers, store bought and homemade including my brother-in-law's. His smoker is a trailer mounted 250 gallon propane tank. My plan is to begin completing but I have to start small.

With a little R&D, I made a UDS worthy of competition and plan to make a couple more.

I look forward to sharing ideas with everone of the Brethren.

Welcome, NU2QN! I love that your bil gave you a smoker for your wedding present! That's fantastic!! Well, you've come to the right forum. You're gonna love this place!! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back