Hello from Central California- Farmer Rob checkin in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Farmer Rob

:icon_devil Hiyah folks- I'm rob, and I love bbq... just got a new rig and was looking for tips when i stumbled upon here.. so by way of introduction->
here is a note i sent to the guys at Nolen who just built me the rig seen below:

Hi guys, All seems well !! Got the trailer into the wherehouse last night- hoisted it up w/ forklift to assemble and away we went- everything arrived fine, will put smokestacks on tonight and wipe down with veg-oil to season...
mini_smoker_007.jpg

mini_smoker_002.jpg

Up til now been smoking in a converted old chinese duck cooker-
put a propane burner and a wood chip box in the drip pan storage area- 3 3'x3' shelves give me plenty of space but no practical experience with a true wood or charcoal firebox- ((HELP)) so not sure how much to load, how long to come up to temp etc.. so any advice in that direction would be helpful..

attached pic is thanksgiving this year- a few of the birds already out- I take care of the neighbors :)

turkey.jpg

look forward to learning ... and sharing
been cooking mainly pork butts, whole pig (laCjajaChina style) and poultry for many years, a bit of ribs now n then

Welcome to the Brethren Farmer Rob, that is one clean rig you got there.

Welcome Rob. Is your new rig an Austin?

Kev- it was built by the Nolen crew in Missouri - father n son- Steve and Michael
I know they build for a lot of folks, but i saved quite doin some homework and goin direct

Last edited by a moderator:
Thks all. Seasoned the new rig today. Used about 12lb of kingsford w/mesquite. Burned a lil hot till I figured out the damper controls. got a good 4-5 hours before temps started to fade

just need to figure out an easy way to clean the firebox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back