THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

georgiaken

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello everyone,

I moved to Atlanta 4 years ago from Philadelphia. Apparently when you move down South, you grow a beard and buy a bunch of grills and smokers LOL - and you buy a pick up truck...

I have an old school Weber Performer (2 actually) that I use with a Smoke EZ. I also have a Pitts and Spitts Ultimate Upright Smoker Pit.

For my grills, I have an old Chargriller (doesn't get used much since buying the Weber Performers) and I have a gas grill...a DCS (this grill is sweet). I refurbished an old one and then refurbished one for my father-in-law as well. I buy all of my stuff used on Craigslist (except the Chargriller that I brought with me from Philly).

Thus far, I have smoked wings on the Smoke EZ (Weber). My wings are legendary in my circles...folks just love'm. I also smoke skinless chicken breast, for use in my quesadillas and pizza (I smoke it, then freeze it). I use an A-Maz-N tube to smoke cheese, which I also use in quesadillas and pizza (especially if I don't have any smoked chicken handy). I have not attempted anything else yet...

I am a bit of a tinkerer...I have a fully furnished wood shop in the basement and I do some amateur welding. I am making a charcoal basket out of angle iron and expanded metal. While searching for pictures on Google, guess where I ended up?

I have lurked on this forum for years...brought here by Google searches and I finally joined yesterday. I have lurked so much, that I literally tried to log in and thought I forgot my password LOL Turns out...I was never registered on this forum...go figure...

So, I will be making my charcoal basket so that I can get started using my Pitts and Spitts. I have done several empty burns with it and learned to regulate the temps, but the one time I tried wings on it, I didn't get the flavor I got from the Smoke EZ...figured I need a charcoal basket...easier fire and smoke management...and less reliance on green sticks (wood isn't always as dry as the person selling it says it is). My wife let me buy that thing 2 years ago...I guess I should start using it.

Welcome Ken, from your neighbor just off Ga. 400. You are pretty accurate with the many grills/pick-up truck/beard analogy, just don't forget to throw in a y'all or two. Hope you enjoy your time here and in the sunny south, jump right in and post some pics when you get a chance. There are so many brethren from this area that we may have to get a bash planned someday.

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back