THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I damn near change every time. Except with my Pork Butt because I've got that thing to where I want it. It took me about 5 tries to get it close to where I wanted it, but now it's just right. I've learned that it if you want to get good at it really fast, make sure to write it down. That way you can reference what you liked and what you didn't like.

Some of the things I've tried messing with:
Different rubs (obviously)
Different temperatures (Low at first is key), I'm usually 225ish.
Probably the biggest I've found it the resting time. With a shoulder I've been anywhere from an hour to 3 hours and the longer the better. 0-1.5 hours is just NOT enough time. 2-3 hours is about perfect, the meat cools to about 165 or so. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Low and slow or hot and fast? Either depends on time restraints...........of if I oversleep.

I still foil but I have stopped spritzing and using the mustard slather.

I have changed my cooker from a monster homemeade to two small commercial offsets.

I now use some commercial rubs but I use homemade on brisket.

Have you gone from low and slow to hot and fast?

I've gone from too low and too slow to hotter and faster, but I wouldnt say it's "hot and fast". Much came from learning surface temperature (for me) vs. the external thermometer.

Have you changed from being a foiler to now an anti foiler?

I've changed from being and anti-foiler to being a foiler.

Have you gone back to low and slow after trying hot and fast?

Not going back to too low and too slow, no. I cook in that 240-275 range. My understanding that hot n fast starts around 300+.

Have you stopped spritzing your meat during the cook?

Not entirely, but I dont spritz often...

Have you just stayed the course and haven't changed anything?

No.

Have you changed from homemade rubs to commercial?

I've tried a number of commercial rubs. Some are good, others are very good, but most are just too salty for my delicate palate. :) I still pretty much use my own.

Gone from commercial to homemade rubs?

Refer to above.

What changes have you made in your technique and why?

Cooking is a journey, not a destination. Realize this and you'll understand that there's nothing meant to stay the same.

Have you gone from low and slow to hot and fast?
Yep...and never looked back! :becky:

Have you changed from being a foiler to now an anti foiler?
Nope...:cool:

Have you gone back to low and slow after trying hot and fast?
Nope...I need my beauty sleep...:twisted:

Have you stopped spritzing your meat during the cook?
Nope...my meat loves a good spritzing...doesn't yours? :heh:

Have you just stayed the course and haven't changed anything?
Nope...I changed EVERYTHING...(last year anyway)...:hand:

Have you changed from homemade rubs to commercial?
Nope...:arrow:

Gone from commercial to homemade rubs?
Yep...:p

What changes have you made in your technique and why?
I went from wired to the gills and temp probes everywhere to cooking by feel...(except for chicken...I still rely on my thermapen for that one)...:wink:

I haven't been in this long enough to have set ways or change much of anything. The only thing I have changed per se is that I don't worry about specific temperatures when cooking meat anymore. I started out with an obsession of the 225 degree point. I do like low and slow, but I still consider myself low and slow at 275 or lower.

Only thing I haven't change is the fuel source and that is real wood. I usually try and keep it in the 250 to 300 range , throw away all my remote thermometers, use foil pans.

Back