THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.
How are either of you controlling draft?

I find these smoke shacks very intriguing!!

On my old, walk in smokehouse you don't really control the draft. The smokes natural tendency to rise causes the smoke house to fill with smoke. Then as atmospheric pressure is raised higher inside it causes a semi-down draft pulling the smoke out between the roof and the walls where there is less resistance. My old walk in does not function like an offset. That being that it is not draft dependant to function properly. Unlike an offset, I'm building a very, very small fire in a very large open environment that is oxygen plentiful. There is nothing on my smokehouse that is airtight. No matter what you do, it can not starve for oxygen. In an attemp to be clear, I'm basically running a very small, open fire. Think of a campfire out in the open. The only difference is I'm catching the smoke in a large, leaky, wooden box. Thus mine does not depend on a draft in the traditional way that you are thinking of draft. I hope that makes sense my friend.

How are either of you controlling draft?

I find these smoke shacks very intriguing!!

I installed an adjustable heat register in the bottom door and it the peak for intake and exhaust. Run the exhaust full open (Only close it to keep bugs and critters out when not using) and use the intake for temperature control. My first one had a dirt floor and the fire box was a 55 gal drum cut down, opened up in the front and a few slots around the sides. The bottom few feet of the smoke house was lined with tin siding to protect the wood from the high heat area including on the door. The upgraded model has refractory brick the first few feet and then metal siding a few more feet. The door just has the metal siding on it. The floor is now a poured refractory and the fire box is made from a 18" piece od stainless pipe with 1/4: stainless top.

The #1 heat control is the size of the fire, how much wood, how dry the wood is ( I do at time wet some of the wood to slow the burn and at times keep wood inside to dry out more) than of course the air intake. At time I crack the bottom door open if I need more air.

It is a fun old school way to smoke meats that I enjoy and IMHO you can't beat the smoke flavors and products that come from it.

It's not for everyone especially if you like gadgets to control the temperature for you. But it is one of my favorites - Love cooking with real fire from real wood!

I do use a maverick so I can read the temperature from my deck instead of going out to the smoke house - especially in bad weather, which seems to be the best time to smoke.

My smokehouse is very old. As such, it has no bells or whistles. I simply build a small fire inside of the smokehouse on the old dirt floor. The same way my grandfather did it many decades ago.

That is so cool - Love the history and method!

Keep it going Brother!

I love my smokehouse. It's old but still puts out some good eats.

4078be57-33fe-43b8-b5fe-19e29345556d_zpse3f4ixbz.jpg

641cbefb-3fdd-43d7-9669-f188f0e7929b_zps9mr7gyc0.jpg

cold%20smoked%20salmon%20097res_zps3z0owhzg.jpg

cold%20smoked%20salmon%20004res_zpsjydk3d1g.jpg

8ea9c664-71f2-4ff3-9844-7fc89bb69097_zpsvyepzxpq.jpg

e2f45a8a-4085-4075-894d-1af936f25fa0_zpsmlaflu9o.jpg

a7fb3095-200b-453d-a1d5-2ec98f0fe7be_zpsv1pb01hh.jpg

Great thread, love the whole idea of a smoke house. Thanks Smoke Dawg for starting the thread and SGH for sharing your smoke house. Jeanie you definitely got the Cadillac very nice job.

Any more pics of the outside of your smokehouse, Smoke Dawg?

I kinda think I may need one of these...

Great thread to start, by the way!

I'm insanely jealous of you folks with dedicated smoke shacks, I would love to build one but I think the SF I have on order put the bride just about at her limit.

Back