Hamtastic Cured Pork Butt a la Phrasty

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
So I was looking at this thread by Phrasty a while back and figured I'd give curing a pork butt like a ham a shot. Phrasty's grub always looks so dang good!

I got a 9# butt and cured it with the recipe in that thread for 4.5 days. I took it out of the brine and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for about a day. I then tied it up and covered it in pepper.

butthamprecook.jpg

butthamprecookcu.jpg

I cooked it at 250 on the UDS for around 5.5 hours using hickory. I started glazing it toward the end. I went a little heavy on the glaze I think.

butthamcooking.jpg

It turned out looking pretty good though. I cooked it to a little under 155 and let it rest for a bit.

butthamcooked2.jpg

butthamcooked1.jpg

I was happy with what I saw when I sliced it.

butthamsliced.jpg

I ate it with some slaw I made with stuff I found in the fridge and some roasted little bell peppers.

butthamplated.jpg

This was really fantastic. The rind was a little intense, I think mainly due to the fact that I used a pretty heavy tasting glaze on top of the pepper. Next time I'll try and keep things a little more balanced by going a little less nuts on the glaze (this was reduced orange juice, black pepper, hot pepper jelly, orange marmalade, dijon mustard, sugar and some other stuff). I do love pepper hams, and based on today's cook I'm seeing that going with a lighter flavored glaze is the way to go. Maybe I'll try the old faithful pinapple juice, brown sugar and butter glaze next time. :thumb:

I'm really looking forward to some sammiches tomorrow - maybe a ham & cheese omelette for breakfast too! :hungry:

Thanks Phrasty for the inspiration and the recipe! :clap2:

Awesome gtr!!! Those slices look incredible! Glad you liked it Brother!

When I did my black pepper ham I actually didn't glaze it at all... I guess it is down to personal preference. But to me, it's more a savory ham. If you're up to it next time give it a go without a glaze and see if you like it... Just the black pepper.

If you really crave a sweet side to it though, I did come up with an alternative to it that rocked! Don't want to hijack ur thread on the first response by posting an image but look at this thread... This is the image of it... :becky: But basically its a seasoned brown sugar (cloves, cinnamon, garlic powder, etc...) mixed 50/50 with the black pepper half way through the cook and applied heavily over a mustard slather. Comes out like a nice dry crust on the ham... you have that great black pepper flavor and you have that sweetness from what would be a glaze but it just blends in with the pepper so much better! :thumb:

Just offering options brother! :wink: That ham you have there looks farkin fantastic tho... Just wait til tomorrow, the flavor will be even better! :becky:

Cheers Bro!

I originally wasn't gonna glaze it, but I took a look at it when it was around 130 and it just didn't look right to me, so I whipped the glaze up pretty quickly. The pepper rind hams I get from this company called Petit Jean in Arkansas aren't glazed either, but they look awfully nice. Mine just looked kinda blah and dry, so I figured I'd hit it with something. Maybe I'll just roll with it next time - and there will be a next time and many others, I can assure you of that!

I'm thinking ham will be the next thing I stop buying commercially - put it on the list with bacon and sausage - all homemade now. :thumb:

That sugar rub looks killer - I have no idea how I missed that thread - looks great!

Oh yeah - in one of those ham threads I saw you had an interesting way of tying the ham - is there a place to get info on that tying technique?

Again - big ups for the ideas brother! :clap2: Thanks for the kind words. :thumb:

That looks great gtr! You better watch out, now i'm thinking of doing a ham like I saw gtr do like Phrasty did. :thumbup::)

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
butthamplated.jpg

Great cook gtr! Looks fantastic... :mrgreen:

I did a ham yesterday that was such an epic FAIL that I'm not sure it's even fit for bean soup. :tsk:

• Thanks
Hmmm, Easter's coming up, I may have to do a practice cook. Looks great!

• Thanks
Got me hungry now! I did a couple at Christmas and really liked how they turned out. Yours looks fantastic.

• Thanks
... Just wait til tomorrow, the flavor will be even better! :becky:

Cheers Bro!

You're not kidding! :shocked: The rind flavor calmed down too. I heated a little up in bacon grease and had it with eggs this morning & it farking rocked. Just sliced some for sammiches & dang it's good! :thumb:

You're not kidding! :shocked: The rind flavor calmed down too. I heated a little up in bacon grease and had it with eggs this morning & it farking rocked. Just sliced some for sammiches & dang it's good! :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb: I always try to wait for at least the next day to really make a dent in the hams... So much better! Glad you enjoyed it!

As for tying up the ham I usually do it a bit differently than the vid posted there. I loop the twine around the ham & tie a double then single knot then cut and repeat. All the loops you see are separate. But then i go back with a single loop lengthwise around the ham wrapping the twine around the loops that I made already to just add support it as it hangs. Does that make sense?? :loco::heh:

Cheers Brother!

• Thanks
Back