THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We love this event. This and King of the Smoker are the only two BBQ related events my wife makes sure we are signed up for. We go to others, this is a don't miss event for us. Looking forward to seeing everyone there! So happy to here there will be more in other parts of BBQ country. Make sure you sign up and give the Guinea Pig a go.

Wanted to compete this year and was planning for it but my wife's cousin qualified to go to Turkey for the archery world championships for team USA. Going to help with a fundraiser that same weekend. Glad to hear that the contest may show up in other areas.

If you get one setup in Georgia, I am definitely in. Come to think of it, Savannah could use a good BBQ contest!

Ok this Guinea Pig is full....we are accepting back ups

Have great teams coming...Pigskin, Getting Basted, Shake and bake, Grills Gone Wild Iowa along with eastern california super stars loot and booty...the always dangerous Left Coast and The Genie will be slaying on site.

This is the greatest as we have judges that never cook...cook tghis event....first timers....regular comp diehards and top level...all in one

Nice that we have the 2015 Rib and Chicken teams!

4 of the BPS elite teams, American Royal GC/RGC teams, plus the top chicken and rib teams in the Country at this event... wow

Wonder if KCBS will allow me to rename my team to "Dead Meat on a Stick"

Oh well, gonna have a fantastic time - thank you for doing this again, Big Poppa!

4 of the BPS elite teams, American Royal GC/RGC teams, plus the top chicken and rib teams in the Country at this event... wow

Wonder if KCBS will allow me to rename my team to "Dead Meat on a Stick"

Oh well, gonna have a fantastic time - thank you for doing this again, Big Poppa!

Yeah, just feed those top chicken and rib teams a lot of Coors Light, I'm sure that will get them off their game.:p

I have held back publicly but KCBS has refused to allow TOY points of Jack bung or Royal draw. We are losing comps and teams right and left and meanwhile they refuse to consider or support a well run concept that benefits the teams. It is in no way an easier contest to cook.

If this contest were to spread to your area and provided a Jack Bung and a Royal draw but was not a KCBS Sanctioned event, would that keep you from cooking it?

Sterling,

It appears that the only thing preventing the Guinea Pig from being a traditional sanctioned event is one sentence in the item #7 of the Rules and Regulations.

"When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat"

Perhaps there is enough support for this type of event to have the general membership voice their request that the Rules committee make the necessary adjustments to remove this condition?

I'd be ALL over an event like this. But I'm in this for the fun and am not looking to be a top 10 team.

I have held back publicly but KCBS has refused to allow TOY points of Jack bung or Royal draw. We are losing comps and teams right and left and meanwhile they refuse to consider or support a well run concept that benefits the teams. It is in no way an easier contest to cook.

If this contest were to spread to your area and provided a Jack Bung and a Royal draw but was not a KCBS Sanctioned event, would that keep you from cooking it?

Provided the rules and scoring were clearly understood and the contest official someone trusted, We would cook it. This could be a solution for a contest like Bakersfield.

At first glance I didn't see an issue with it meeting published qualifier criteria. A team count of 24 is a problem. It's one team short for second year contests for the Jack and Royal. I think it meets Jack standards for a first year event. I haven't seen language from either invitational that specifies a KCBS Masters series event vs Competitor series for qualifier status.

KCBS doesn't set the qualifying criteria. The invitationals do. If they were to grant an exemption or change their standards that would solve the issue.

My .02

its a 50 team contest. It has to be sanctioned by someone that has jack and roayl arrangements

Would the FBA sanction it? They sanctioned a contest in New Mexico last year, no reason they couldn't do one in California.

The rules and judging are slightly different than kcbs.

This event is awesome. Great cooks and great friends. It doesn't get any better than this. A fantastic way to start off the season in CA. Unfortunately, I cannot participate this year because of a prior commitment. Believe me...I was on the fence for a long time! I'm sure everyone will have a great time in the Coachella Valley for this one. I definitely would participate in more of these types of events if they were non-KCBS, yet Jack/AR qualifiable.

I'd cook it.

Back