THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was toasting some a few months back and everyone in the house started coughing, even the kids upstairs. It was actually quite humorous when I look back at it.

The only reason I toast them is to get a slightly different flavor. The ones that made us cough were birdseye peppers. So beware.
This is especially true in a commercial prep kitchen directley below a full dining room during the middle of lunch service. A prep cook decided to grind a whole huge mess of peppers with the exhaust fan on one afternoon. About halfway through his project the vapors reached the D.R. and customers started complaining, coughing and some were crying! Cost me (well my buddy who owned the place) about $5,000 by the time we emptied the place (120 seats) and had to comped nearly all the lunches and then we had to hear it from the regulars (from one of the big law firms around the corner). Good times! Oh, and keeping with the rest of this thread, **** *** *********.

evilpsych's method for grinding peppers..

here's how i do it when i'm making chile or chipotle powder for my rub.

take your dried peppers, cut open, discard seeds if you want to (some people think they're bitter, but i think they add a little robustness to the flavor.)

i cut mine into sections with a pair of scissors, then i put them into a cheap blender i have just for the purpose, shaking both the blender and motor as one unit up and down to make sure that the big pieces get to the blades. Then i sift through a mesh flour sifter to get the big bits out.

Back