THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott_nra

Knows what a fatty is.
:becky:Gonna get me a grinder for making my rubs. I've got a few good ones (Rubs that is) and want some advice on the grind. Would a finer grind be better or a corser grind?

Along those lines, I don't see a lot of difference in Powders v/s Granulated. Just what is the big difference there?

When I make my rubs, the biggest thing I am looking for is grinding the celery seed, Rosemary and oregano for mixing in good and cutting loose flavor.

Who's got some rub advice? I know about all the great rubs already made, but part of my adventure is developing my own, and I think I have a few really good ones now. They need a final grind instead of braking up stuff with spoons and rolling pins.:boxing::boxing::boxing:

If you're doing small batches, a good mortar and pestle would work. You'll be surprised how often you will use it once you start thinking of what it could be useful for.

For larger quantities, I would think a spice/coffee grinder is what you'd be looking for. Just be sure if you grind your own coffee, to get two units...one for coffee and one for spices.

I'm in a similar boat. Right now I just have a small hand pepper grinder and a mortar and pestle. On large batches an electric grinder would be wander. I am also wonder what sort of effect the size of the grind has on the rub.

I know 'funk does an all large grains on the final layer of his tri-layer rub, so it does play a role.

I purchased a cheap coffee bean grinder and labeled it as a SPICE grinder so we don't accidentally use if for coffee :thumb:

Burr grinders are MUCH better but I'm no hundredaire...

I purchased a cheap coffee bean grinder and labeled it as a SPICE grinder so we don't accidentally use if for coffee :thumb:

Burr grinders are MUCH better but I'm no hundredaire...

There you have it. Actually some Burr grinders have "feeding" problems. I'd go with a simple spinning blade model. Make sure to label it though...

Coffee grinder user here:thumb: I even use it to make chipotle powder from whole pods, works great.

I was looking at getting a coffee grinder too. But my wife bought one of those Magic Bullets, so I've just been using that with good results.

Along those lines, I don't see a lot of difference in Powders v/s Granulated. Just what is the big difference there?

Think size. Smaller particles will tend to lose their flavor quicker, larger will last longer. Like table salt vs Kosher salt.

I also find that a lot of powders just taste "off". I use granulated in my rubs when I can.

Seasonings tend to lose their flavor the longer they cook, that's why it tastes one way right out of the bottle but another after cooking.

I also reapply seasoning at the end to add more fresh flavor.

I just use a coffee grinder.

Herbs/spices are just like flowers, the longer they are exposed to air the quicker they lose their "scent". Use a grind to freshen them up and expose the inner parts of the herb/spice.

The only advantage I can see for a burr grinder for spices is repeatability. With a blade grinder it is hard to get the same results twice. But, as Oakpit mentioned, a burr grinder can have feed problems with spices since they rely on gravity, and the lighter spices may not drop into the burrs properly.

I use a blade grinder that is dedicated to spices and it works well for home use. If you have a Goodwill store or similar resale store nearby just to there. The local Goodwill seems to have at lest on on the shelf every time I go there and they are usually a couple of bucks. You can use Minute Rice to give it a good cleaning.

I use a coffee grinder dedicated just for spices. The only downside I have with it, is getting any kind of uniformity. For instance, grinding whole peppercorns. You get everything from dust to chunks. I've often run it thru a sieve then re-grind the courser pieces. Still best thing that I've found

To keep it consistent I guess you could probably use an adjustable pepper grinder and hook it up to a drill for speed. :becky:

Back