THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
In the warmer months, I crave cool white wines and fresh seafood. Being landlocked in the middle of the country here in St. Louis, one would think I wouldn’t have much opportunity for good seafood. Luckily we have Bob’s Seafood. It’s a hike for me from South County, but so worth the trip. And when I saw the grouper, I couldn’t wait to get some home and on the grill. Grouper is not meaty like a swordfish or flaky like a roughy. It’s sort of in between and to me, it’s almost perfect.
Ingredients:
2 grouper filets, approximately 6 ounces each
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grated asiago (any hard cheese will do)
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp Crawdad’s Classics BBQ Rub
1 tbsp fresh herbs (I used chives and tarragon, but marjoram or basil will work as well)
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-007.jpg
The Ingredients

Now, I didn’t use that entire hunk of grouper. That chunk was a little over a pound. I sliced it into three nice filets about 6 ounces each. Here are two of them with the chopped tarragon and chives:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-022.jpg
Filets and the Chopped Herbs

Melt the butter in a pan along with the garlic, olive oil, asiago and a teaspoon of Crawdad’s Classics BBQ Rub:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-008.jpg
Adding the Crawdad's Classics

Pan-Grilled-Grouper-014.jpg
The Sauce

Remove the pot from the stove and let cool. Don’t let it get cold as it will solidify. Just allow it to come down from a simmer to warm.
Hit each side of the filets with some coarse salt and then prep the grill.
Prepare the grill for high heat, direct grilling. And while grouper is not the flakiest of fish, it can fall apart on the grill, so a grill pan is highly recommended:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-031.jpg
The Grill Pan

Now dunk the filets in the pot to coat them in the butter/garlic/cheese/oil/rub mixture:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-032.jpg
Dunking the Filets

Flip over and brush the garlic over the filet:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-039.jpg
Brushing the Top with the Garlic

Then put the filets on the grill pan right over the heat:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-043.jpg
Pan Searing on the Grill

Expect a little flare up as the butter/oil sauce is very liquid and very flammable:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-058.jpg
Don't Sweat the Flare Ups

Oh, and I would highly recommend a nice, big metal spatula:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-063.jpg
Make Sure You have a good Spatula

After about four minutes, depending on the heat of your fire, the filets should be nicely browned, so flip:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-076.jpg
Browned and Flipped

Then brush the filets with the sauce:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-083.jpg
Brush with the Sauce

After another four to five minuted over the high heat, the fish firms up nicely, and is browned on the other side, remove from the grill and plate:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-1091.jpg
Plated

Then sprinkle the fresh herbs:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-123.jpg
Hit it with a little Herbs

And the other filet:
Pan-Grilled-Grouper-127.jpg
The Other Filet

This is a wonderful, savory, fresh grouper recipe that was fantastic on a warm, summer evening with a glass of white. This 14 Hands Chard with vanilla and buttery notes accompanied it well:
Grouper-Adobo-53.jpg
A nice little Chard

For other seafood recipes, click here.
Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on Facebook and post your own grillin pictures or on Twitter @GrillinFool.

Back