THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

backyardchef said:
Nice job, Darren! Does this mean you'll be cooking at Grillin' on the Bay this year, or still judging?

I would like to compete this year at Grillin on The Bay. The only reason why I didn't last time around is because I found out about it a little too late. Judging was a lot of fun anyway. And the eats were pretty damn good too!!!

My experience

All in all, I had a great time despite all of the nonsense that went on at the Grill Kings event. Will I return next year.....probably? I would like to consider doing Guitarbecue instead though just to see the difference in how it is run. I was fortunate enough to learn from last year's crappy water situation and bring 12 gallons of my own. It held me afloat till the water delivery the following day. I got pretty ticked about the health inspector and the hand washing station ordeal. He was a complete A-hole and after nitpicking about not having one (I called Grill Kings days before to find out what a "competition" handwashing station consisted of and Victoria, the girl who originally left me the message about it, had no idea what one was) he started nosing through all of my coolers and started asking me what different tools I was going to use to handle raw meat vs cooked meat. I explained to him that I was gonna glove up to handle raw product and use tools to handle cooked product. He had a hard time buying into it and continued to prod me with more questions.Pretty damn annoying! The funny thing is is that I manage a restaurant and I am Serve Safe certified...my restaurant gets A's in sanitation every year and this dude was wasting my time. Murray showin up late for meat inspection kinda blew a bit too. Nobody notified me of the cooks meeting. I happened to stumble up upon it while washing my hands at the judges tent. What sucked the most was the judging ceremony....pretty weak!! Both my and my teammates family came by to see the results.....all older people....my teammate has a 3yr old son too. 90+ degrees till 6PM puts everyone in a crappy, uncomfortable situation. Anyway....thats my little rant...Just venting to my brothers.
On a positive note.....the Brethren teams that I did get to chat with were all great to spend time with and Phil was very generous with sharing sausages, linguini, and chicken with my crew. Thanks!!!

One of my personal moments was the chicken turn in. I was a little anxious and started to run with box to the judges tent ten minutes early and having Willie B yelling "Sledneck where the hell are you going" And thank you to Al for guiding me to the proper turn in for the next 3

Sledneck said:
One of my personal moments was the chicken turn in. I was a little anxious and started to run with box to the judges tent ten minutes early and having Willie B yelling "Sledneck where the hell are you going" And thank you to Al for guiding me to the proper turn in for the next 3

Steve,

I enjoyed cooking next to you during the contest. I would have to say one of the funniest things for me was the expression on your face when the wind picked up your canopy and turned it over almost right in place. Michele and I almost peed ourselves.

I'd still like to know where we placed in the grilling event... For he $50 entry fee it would have been nice to know where you came in just like the sanctioned event.

No results posted on the Grill Kings site yet. I had 20 co workers ask me how I did as some showed up on Sat and all I can say is that I did not win and I don't know any more as of yet. they thought that was the dumbest thing they ever heard for a contest to not advise where you finished.

Last year when we were there, I emailed Dean and he sent me back my result for the sauce category. Something about it being just for fun and not giving out the whole thing. He did respond to my e-mail though.

MilitantSquatter said:
I had 20 co workers ask me how I did as some showed up on Sat and all I can say is that I did not win and I don't know any more as of yet. they thought that was the dumbest thing they ever heard for a contest to not advise where you finished.

We've been dealing with the same thing for four days and I'm tired of the question. We felt we did pretty well for our first competition but have no real clue until they tell us something. Another reason we're definitely doing sanctioned events going forward!

- Clint

I'm trying to get the results to post here or get them posted on their site as we speak. Stay tuned.

Although I was only there for Sunday's competition, a good time was had. Working with Willy B. and his crew was an experience.

Unfortunately there was that B.S. at the end. Not allowing people to leave?!? Announcing award ceremony for 4:30 and not starting until 5:30?!? I wasn't there to listen to some local band (especially without a covered area for sitting/waiting). Also, at one point on during the day, I walked over to the GK tent where they were selling t-shirts and hats. As I was walking away, the guy in the tent asked me if I was going to buy something. I suggested that some sort of a "package" should be put together and distributed to each competitor. His only response was to ask me what I was talking about and that he guessed that GKs is is doing this to make money.

How can GK be so interested in the petty BS but not supply water when the heat index was at (or over) 100 degrees. Isn't that a health hazard also?!?.... If not dangerous!

Vinny - Congrats... Good showing for a first time.

I think the Grill King's Brethren showing deserves a celebration at Hooters. How about it boys??

By the way, WHAT TIME IS IT?

Hmmm. 13th overall and 10th in chops. I feel pretty good about that as a first try. Plus thanks to Phil's generous and honest crit of some of my sauces, I know we can push up that score next time. All in all a great time and can't wait to get out again!

- clint

Exactly. That was the sauce I turned in, but I've already made some modifications on it based on your suggestions, plus have a few others (including the other 2 you tasted) in the mind lab...Sauce is my obsession this month.

- Clint

Back