Green Mountain Grill loud noise when augering

Kanakanui

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Justin
Hello, I looked for search function but didn't see one, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered or off topic. I am not looking for why you hate or like Green Mountain Grills. I know there are a variety or brands, but this is what I have. I am running a Jim Bowie choice. On Xmas I went to cook a beef tenderloin and the auger wouldn't feed pellets but for 1-2 seconds then stop. I figured there was a jam or something so I used the oven.

Today I followed the GMG instructions for cleaning out the auger by pulling it out completely and cleaning out the feeding tube. Put back together, turned it on, and the auger is now feeding pellets like normal. However, it is now making an awful noise. It's not the auger making noise. It sounds more like the motor that is turning the auger. It is a loud humming spinning noise. The sound stops when auger not in motion. When it kicks back on to feed a few more pellets and you can hear the motor winding down.

Here is a video of the noise. Last 30 seconds has noise cycling on and off.
https://youtu.be/0wdTHWs-E5o

I've submitted an inquiry to GMG support, but wanted any 3rd party opinions on what the real issue could be here. Appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Hello, I looked for search function

From our FAQ...

My SEARCH doesn't work. Where is the SEARCH and NEW POST feature.

The standard search is at the bottom of the forum. Its uses the google search engine but only searchs our forum and is available to everyone with or without a subscription. The expanded search is included with subscriptions and is on the blue menu bar. It allows extended searching with advanced options, boolean searching, search by date, members, etc. A subscription must be purchased to activate the advanced search feature but the bottom google search is available to all members

When you cleaned it was there a jam? I'm just wondering if the motor overloaded and was damaged internally. I'd also check to see if the fan is rubbing against something.

I didn't really notice any jammed pellets when I cleaned out the auger tube. I've heard this sound before, not long after getting it. Never to this extent. But it subsided. I'm thinking about taking the hopper off again, reconnecting the control panel and then running the cycle so I can see the components working and try to pin point the sound. From looking underneath, I dont visibly see the fan rubbing anything.

Thanks for the advice guys. I started it up this morning and looked under the hopper and noticed the main power line tucked in behind the fan. Must have slipped behind when I put the hopper back on after cleaning out the auger. Repositioned the cord and the unit is quiet again. Thanks again for the advice.

Back