THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
About once a month we make a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer, and today was the day. The filling is hot pork sausage, eggs, cheese, potato, peppers, green onion, and cilantro.
bDxr8EB.jpg

For the TD, some of Mrs ~t~'s Green Chili was invited. Standard recipe can be found HERE.

Nxna9YL.jpg

tldf4sD.jpg

OpPpaJz.jpg

8HH2kwQ.jpg

And here was my Sunday breakfast! Cook time is about 30 minutes and my GrillGrate makes a great heat diffuser. I can run the pit at 250° and the Grill Grate actually gets a little hotter but the ribs prevent to bottom of the dish from getting too hot and burning.

3WVXRlZ.jpg

Your cooks look so amazing, clear informative pix and plating.

So much want to taste it!

Thanks@!

Your cooks look so amazing, clear informative pix and plating.

So much want to taste it!

Thanks@!

Thanks for the kind words. We roast peppers once or twice a year and package them together for a single batch of green chili, and the heat level is never quite the same from year to year. The green chili was a pretty hot batch so it was kind of mellowed by the burrito and the cheese.

Looks great :clap2: your grill grates look really clean - are they new or do you maintain them like that?

I think they are a year old, but I seasoned them first using an onion like they recommend... it sounded goofy to me but it worked. When I'm cooking on them I use a light spray of olive oil before the food goes on. After cooking and cooling I use narrow stainless steel brush to remove any cooked on food, then wipe with a shop rag.

Looks so good. The problem I see is that you only made one.

Mrs ~t~ opted for a non-smothered breakfast burrito, but once she saw mine I think she regretted that decision.... I used a small handful of pecan pellets and it gave the whole thing kind of a brick oven back flavor. I really liked it.

Wayne, that is one fantastic green chile breakfast burrito! :clap2:

As an aside, your link to the green chile recipe on your site was a blast from the past. I found your site back around 2005 when looking for a pastrami recipe, and tried the Bobberger recipe. It was an unmitigated disaster, not because of the recipe, but my inexperience. My wife and I still talk about it with a chuckle from time to time!

Further digging around your site in the early days led me to the green chile recipe, which I still have bookmarked, so this is a great reminder to knock this off my to-do list. I'm also wondering if a similar approach you use in the recipe can be adapted to a red chile...just thinking out loud here.

Wayne, that is one fantastic green chile breakfast burrito! :clap2:

As an aside, your link to the green chile recipe on your site was a blast from the past. I found your site back around 2005 when looking for a pastrami recipe, and tried the Bobberger recipe. It was an unmitigated disaster, not because of the recipe, but my inexperience. My wife and I still talk about it with a chuckle from time to time!

Further digging around your site in the early days led me to the green chile recipe, which I still have bookmarked, so this is a great reminder to knock this off my to-do list. I'm also wondering if a similar approach you use in the recipe can be adapted to a red chile...just thinking out loud here.

The technique of putting the spices atop the tray of ground meat is really a great flavor enhancer. Think about most of our barbecued and grilled foods... the layers of rub become flavorful because of heat and fats coming out of the meat. So yes.... we do that when it's an all beef red chili. I make bulk Chorizo using pork and a seasoning mix from Walton's and sometimes our red chili is 50:50 beef and chorizo. I may cook the beef with seasonings, but brown the chorizo since it's flavorful on it's own.

Back