THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
Gents

I love my stick burners but at the old age of 38 and two small kids I’m thinking of getting a gravity feed to make life easier, we are moving and I may be selling my ASW so I’m looking to add another option. My brisket style is 100% Texas style since the training with Dylan a few years back and I’m concerned with losing that texture with the different airflow. What kind of bark are you guys getting on the gravity? I know I can limit moisture in the chamber, use BP or go nekid to help but with that said are you seeing nice coarse bark? Thanks for the help

Nothing beats a stick burner, but from my past experience using a Stumps and my current Southern Q Limo Jr., I would say they get fairly close texture wise.

The Gravity Feeds do make life way easier. Looks like you have two offsets now, so replacing one with a Gravity probably makes a lot of sense.

Bark forming shot from this past weekend. These are beef cheeks for Barbacoa at the 2hr mark.
9ce89191be1bddef21ee993207f48a29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravity Fed are a great concept. I have an Assassin 28 and I love it. It doesn't lay on the smoke flavor of my offset, but I'm sure it would if I made it run dirtier. The nice thing about the GF is that I can throw a lot of meat on and go to bed. I just trust it. I might get up once in the middle of the night to make sure nothing is going wrong, but otherwise it has been a great investment. If you don't want to spend much, but want the experience of GF and it's flavor, then maybe try a Masterbuilt GF. Same concept, similar flavor, for a lot less. BUT, you will not own a MB for many years like you would a Stumps or Assassin!

I've been smoking with a Stumps Stretch gravity fed for over two years. I couldn't be happier with the results. I get great bark and moisture on everything. Good luck with your decision.

Gents

I love my stick burners but at the old age of 38 and two small kids I’m thinking of getting a gravity feed to make life easier, we are moving and I may be selling my ASW so I’m looking to add another option. My brisket style is 100% Texas style since the training with Dylan a few years back and I’m concerned with losing that texture with the different airflow. What kind of bark are you guys getting on the gravity? I know I can limit moisture in the chamber, use BP or go nekid to help but with that said are you seeing nice coarse bark? Thanks for the help

I got an Old Country gravity fed a couple weeks ago and have cooked one brisket on it so far. (I also took Dylan's class BTW). Here are a few pics if they help.

2.1.jpg

5.1.jpg

6.1.jpg

Back