THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All sides and the bottom (underneath drip pan) are insulated (sorry, didn't take photos of that step). In fact the entire area around the charcoal chute and firebox is full of insulation as well.

CougarGuy - it was mostly for aesthetic reasons - I didn't want it sitting off the side or the back where I could whack my head on it. And I didn't want it coming out of the top of the cook chamber because I didn't want it to drip on the meat. The exhaust from the cook chamber is in the top right back corner (all the way at the top cut into the side). I don't anticipate heat distribution problems because of this since I can adjust the bottom heat diffuser to put more heat on whatever side needs it more. And even then I think heat distribution is overrated - I think its a benefit to have different temps in the same cooker when cooking more than one type of meat at the same time.

jayhawQ, Gravity Feed smokers work on the concept of sealing off the top of the charcoal chute to starve most of the column of air. Only as the charcoal falls down into the area of the fire grate (which the air comes from below it) and transfer tube (into which the air is being pushed) does it ignite. This varies from design to design but is typically a few inches high worth of oxygenated fire area.

I'm on schedule for this weekend! I really only need to build a ash pan (bought the metal for it today) and make some kind of drip shield on the inside bottom of the main door. I haven't been able to get any good pictures yet because I get bad glare in the evenings from my garage. I'll see what I can do.

OK, how about these:

DP8C9757_zps020c3f19.jpg

DP8C9753_zpsd48d472c.jpg

DP8C9755_zps86359937.jpg

DP8C9749_zpseda2f5a8.jpg

DP8C9750_zps67635d92.jpg

DP8C9752_zps0f569e85.jpg

First class job sir! Your welds are nothing to apologize for either. Wish I could lay down those pretty beads myself. Time to get it cookin' now!:clap2:

Wow

One heck of a job. Just wondering how much total cost you had in it e.g. material, supplies, gas, misc. you had in it? That is if you kept up with it. Did you keep up with your hours? I'm trying to see how much I would have in one if I decided to build and also how much profit builders can possibly make. Off the cuff I'm thinking that for a do it yourselfer and one who isn't making GFS in numbers, you could buy one cheaper. I also realize that you have built one possibly better and longer lasting than those on the market. I think if I undertook a build I would build 2 at the same time to make it worthwhile. One to sell.

That looks professionally built to me!
As I was reading the thread I kept hoping for a Camo paint job..........:heh:
Where did you get your gaskets/door seals?

A fellow at work wants to build one of these. He poohpoos my UDS, my miniwsm and my pbc- he wants a "real smoker". I think I will direct him to this thread- and back up so his jaw does not hit my foot. You have set his bar very high :)

excellent job, sir.

Smitty, the gaskets are called "tadpole gaskets" and I got them from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for all the kind comments! I'm really looking forward to getting her fired up this weekend. We even got a "cool" front to keep things reasonable outside this weekend!

Can you post up the setup for your guru you are mounting underneath? that is a great idea and want to incorporate it in my GFS build I am starting this winter.

Back