THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Granton for me. The only time I bring out a serrated edge is when splitting or spatchcocking chickens.

I was struggling with the same question on the granton. Do you guys feel the 14" is too big? Would a 12" be a enough for mostly brisket?

The size of your cutting board/cutting area usually dictates how large of a knife is too large. So 14" is not too big as long as you have enough room to pull a full stroke. If you're not using the whole blade, and still sawing your way though, then a 14" is a waste of steel.

That is exactly why I rarely use my 12" chef's knife. I have a board large enough for it, but it's damn heavy and takes up a lot of real estate on the counter. It's much easier for me to grab a small board & wield an 8" or 10" chef's for quick prep.

Granton over a serated edge for sure. You're not going to really sharpen a serated edge adequately. A smooth edge can be sharpened, and even re-profiled if you so desire. The grantons (dimples) give you less drag through the meat because of less surface area touching as the knife is pulled through.

Back