Got a new thermometer, and a small cook

BeardedBassGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Splurged a bit and grabbed a new thermometer for my smoker. 5" TelTru Glow in the dark. Got it from St. Louis bbq store on sale. Came in this week so I had to try it out today.

I did 2 racks of baby backs that came from Kroger a couple weeks back when they had a big sale. And the wife picked up a log of Jimmy Dean "natural" unflavored today so of course I had to make it a fatty.

I did one rack with Blues Hog dry rub and the other with Rebel Butcher Supply's bbq rub. Each rack got a few Pats of butter on top after an our or so, and were spritzed with apple juice a few times. After 2.5 hours they got a honey drizzle and a dab of brown sugar.

The last hour they each got 3x basted with sauce; every 20 minutes or so. The Blues Hog got basted with 4 Escobar's original, and the rebel rub got Head Country Original.

I did not wrap at any point, which was a first for me as I usually do the 3-2-1.

The fatty got rubbed with the leftovers of both rubs that were on the board. It also received a very small dose of brown sugar and honey.

The fire was an even split of Hickory, Oak, and Pecan. Temps ran an average of 300 for the cook. Decently seasoned Firewood is almost completely sold out here in DFW so I bought kiln dried bags of the 3 varieties. The Hickory was Western, the other 2 were B&B.

Final thoughts:
I think I've just about got my cooker figured out as far as temp control. I'm really looking forward to trying a longer smoke on it again.

The fatty was absolutely incredible. The flavors of both rubs and the sweetness of the brown sugar and honey really worked magic.

The ribs were outstanding flavor wise.my first time using both of those rubs and they did not disappoint. Both rub / sauce combos worked very well together though the Rebel / Head Country was the table favorite. The blues hog / 4 Escobar's had a much better depth of flavor and was a great blend of sweet and spicy, but even I agreed it was a bit too much on the spicy side to have more than a couple at a time. People who like heat on their ribs should be encouraged to try this.

I also could have left the ribs on a bit longer. They were done, but not quite tender to where everyone wanted them to be. I seem to be on a run of pulling things to early, so I need to watch that next cook.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

nqQkQQRl.jpg

2DB9myil.jpg

aoQCISTl.jpg

YHIn0Mil.jpg

NlwRMWwl.jpg

CWhGRywl.jpg

The 4 Escobar's is one of my favorites. Ribs look pretty good to me. Have you bought any wood to start seasoning? I have a great wood supplier but as busy as they are they never have anything seasoned more than a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 4 Escobar's is one of my favorites. Ribs look pretty good to me. Have you bought any wood to start seasoning? I have a great wood supplier but as busy as they are they never have anything seasoned more than a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah I really like the 4 Escobar's too. And thanks!

Yeah I've got over a 1/4 cord of oak but it's very green. My parents back in East Texas supposedly have a supplier of true seasoned wood for smoking, and are supposed to be bringing me at least a half a cord. Prices there at about a 1/3 of what they are in DFW. But they are dragging their feet.

Man, I haven’t done the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method in a long ass time. I had a dry Memphis rack from Peg Leg Porker in Nashville and it was like what eating at Louie Mueller did to my brisket game.

Back