Goose Egg Frittata With Pig Shots ~ Cook's Thread For The Cast Iron TD

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Yesterday I put two quite different things together for the CI TD. I started off with a meaty side dish of pig shots which are a slice of sausage (for the bottom), bacon (which forms the shot glass) a filling of cream cheese, sour cream, BBQ rub, jalapenos and cheddar cheese, and a jalapeno ring for garnish. For the main dish I used goose eggs and made a frittata which had a vegetable and cheese filling topped with sautéed mushrooms.

CjzEHMj.jpg

The sausage slices are 1/2" to 5/8" thick, and to get the bottom sealed to prevent leaks, they cook for about 30 minutes in direct contact with my griddle. Then they get racked for another 30 or 45 minutes while the bacon cooks.

BJG5eZL.jpg

YTZPmlK.jpg

BGCvDAI.jpg

Goose eggs equal 3 chicken eggs, but the yolks are huge, this makes anything you cook very rich and yellow.

vwbvrjb.jpg

WqZTCJa.jpg

Here is the filling

V6e7xe8.jpg

And here is the frittata going on the pit. Cook time is about 30 minutes at 300° and it is removed a little early so it finishes cooking in the hot skillet. When the edge starts to separate from the skillet, it's close. Right when they come off the pit, I sprinkled on some grated Parm.

VYtv7Jn.jpg

3m1RTrN.jpg

So, I managed to get four of the five food groups on one plate. :thumb:

6EvsBxH.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Thirdeye! I have not made pig shots in a long time - Thanks for the reminder!

Heck of a cook! I see pig shots in my future :-D

A little sour cream mixed into the cream cheese and cheddar helped when loading the bacon shot glass, and sort of smoothed everything out when they cooked since pig shots take longer than ABT's.

Back