THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

charrederhead

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Pete
(and the spit, too).

Debuted the rotis. the other day w/ a 4# chicken- came out nice. Cooked it ~340-275 for ~2 hrs. (Pay no attention to the evidence of my lousy truss job!)

Then yesterday a.m. I got the urge (and had time) to use the rotis. again and scrounged up some potatoes. I had wings and sweet Italian sausage in the fridge. Just had some chicken so I grabbed the sausage (ha), and some peppers/onions and found some baked beans and it turned into one of those kind of cooks.

I had skipped breakfast and was starving. In my cooking-on-the-fly haste I forgot to oil/salt the taters. You can see I'm set up w/ indirect charcoal baskets. What you can't see in that pic is the drip pan from the earlier chicken cook nestled between the baskets. I later added a smaller pan filled w/ baked beans next to the sausage pan.

In the meantime, I had a bunch of small lump pieces/flakes/dust/leftover that I wanted to utilize, so I poured that into the WSM, to heat up some leftover ribs.

The rotis. kettle settled at 290 and the WSM was plenty smoky- I figure due to the lack of airspace w/ the flaky, dusty fuel I'm using. I took the top off to aid combustion. This was more a research event than anything, so I wasn't particularly concerned.

Back in the kettle I lost temp. faster than I expected so opened up the bottom vents more. The temp came back up and all was well. The WSM was still smoking too much.

Cut to later, when I realized I needed more fuel for the kettle. I decided to steal from the WSM, so I moved some fuel from it to the kettle, one chunk at a time. This worked for a while, but it was a losing battle. Meanwhile, the WSM fire had cleared up and the temp. was ~250, so I made the Command Decision to move the 2 pans from the kettle to the WSM.

And the fun begins...instead of pulling the rotis. to give myself all sorts of room, I idiotically tried to finagle the big pan out from under the potatoes. Naturally, I dripped liquid onto the pan below and the chicken grease caught fire.

Classic keystone cops followed- as I removed the sausage pan (I always wear welding gloves) from the flare-up, I knocked over a charcoal basket into that chicken grease. :bow: :tsk:

Got a nice little flame going now!... I put the lid on/closed the vents and snuffed it out. Qk, mini-fiasco handled.

I dumped the bean pan into the sausage/veggie pan in the WSM, which had hit 270, and closed the vents to a crack. The kettle (potatoes) settled to ~250. I reverse-seared the sausage on top of the charcoal baskets and went in to eat. It was all real good. No pics though.

After eating, I checked the WSM temp and it was still going strong at 270- amazing. The charcoal ring hadn't even been filled halfway, and I had stolen some of the fuel to put in the kettle, yet it was still cranking good. I know it's been said a million times here but these things are amazingly efficient cookers.

About an hour later I pulled the taters and they were excellent. Crispy skin ( I did spray-oil them and salt them on the spit) w/ soft insides.

Sooo, I did some stupid chit and learned a lesson.

And here are a few gratuitous pics of a picnic cook from last week-

I also like to get more than one use out of a foil pan. I just rinse it out with the garden hose between uses. I figure the heat of the coals sterilizes it. The only down side I've found is that the dogs like to eat the grass where I rinse it out.

Back