Give me your best Brussels sprouts methods

Haha...:grin: That's what I say for squash. Never acquired a taste for any variety.
Spaghetti is my favorite squash. Fairly neutral and takes on whatever flavor you add to it. Has great texture if not over cooked.

We love Brussels Sprouts. Our fave method to date has been cut in half… on the outdoor griddle… placed in a puddle of beef tallow and tossed around. End result is semi-fried crispy exterior/tender interior. I season the last couple mins on the griddle.

We like making them a lot. I like them roasted with chopped onion and fried bacon, with some grease. They work good on the grill if you wrap in foil for 15 or 20 minutes to give them time to steam, and then open up the foil and finish.

Alright so I think I got a result I'm pretty happy with. These Brussels sprouts were from Sam's Club, and what I realized as I was prepping them is they were all pretty small compared tot he ones I typically get elsewhere. But it ended up being fine, just adjusted the cook times accordingly.

I decided to go with the Blackstone method. Started with cooking some bacon to get fat down on the griddle, and I set the cooked strips aside for later.

Next, some sliced onions into the bacon fat. Also set aside for later use.

I put the sprouts on next, and then plopped some beef tallow on the griddle to aid in their cooking. I rendered this tallow myself from a bunch of brisket trimmings.

I seasoned the sprouts with this mix I picked up from Costco.

I ended up using a metal mixing bowl upside down on the griddle to continue cooking the sprouts and onions to give them some steam/top heat. Once they'd softened a bit, I crumbled the bacon and mixed it in. They turned out great, thanks for all the tips! :thumb:

I did not take any pics, but made some good sprouts tonight. Cut them in half, sliced the bottom off, quarter some big white mushrooms, mixed with olive oil, and S&P, and then mixed on some bacon lardons, roasted @425 convection for maybe 20 min...drizzled a really good balsamic over it at the end.....was superb,

Cut in half, steam in microwave steamer for about 2-3 minutes. Pour in saute pan and add bacon, garlic, and black pepper. Cook down for one to two more minutes. Pour in some balsamic vinegar, cover and steam to desired tenderness. They usually come out pretty tasty this way.

Attachments

• 8.29.21-14.jpg
    8.29.21-14.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 115
Suggestion .... just toss them in the trash ,,,, :-D

If they weren’t so good I’d say THIS^^^ :biggrin1:

Rule #1 buy frozen (never fresh, they take too much werk)

#2 bacon grease in the skillet

#3 dump sprouts

#4 garlic salt and pepper

#5 Sauté till your desired doneness (is that even a werd)

#6 Enjoy

My wife just boils them, adds a little butter, salt, and pepper and eats them. I try to avoid coming in the house during the process

We would roast them in the oven at 400F for 20-30 minutes and they always turned out. But in a grilling basket, the exterior would get nice and crispy but raw/hard inside. If you toss liberally with oil first (I mean a lot of oil) and put them on the grill first at low temp, they tend to turn out better.

Or first zap in microwave (60-90 seconds), which steams them making them soft inside, then put on the grill to crisp outside.

After trimmed, put in a pot with a steamer insert. After steaming for a few minutes, I use a small wooden skewer and poke the sprouts to see how tender they are. When the skewer slides in with little resistance, turn the pot off, drain, remove the steamer insert and toss with butter, a little pepper, and some bacon bits. They are ready to serve. The skewer method insures that they are the right consistency without them turning to mush or being underdone.

clean them up a bit dip them in olive oil dip in honey garlic rub to coat wrap with bacon and then put them in the smoker till the bacon is crisp

I cook mine based off a cook by LYU370.

Stem, clean, and halve brussel sprouts.
Prep asparagus and then cut into bit sized pieces.
Clean and slice mushrooms.
Clean and cut onion into bite sized pieces.
Start w/ about twice the veggies as you think you need.

Put in bowl and toss with EVOO and SPOG (or seasonings of your choice).
Saute in pan with w/ more EVOO, butter, or Bacon grease til well caramalized.

Served topped with Parm.

I've also cleaned them and cut them into small pieces before sauteing them in Italian salad dressing to good reviews.

We KISS. Trim stem back to clean white, cut lengthwise, discarding any loose outer leaves that want to come off. Toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange them on a baking sheet or rimmed pan and cook in a 400 degree oven until nicely browned. We don't touch them partway through like we do many roasted vegetables because we like the flat side to get nice and brown and crispy. Serve hot and don't plan on leftovers. Buy good fresh vegetables and you won't get bitter sprouts.

Here's a tip from the country that essentially invented grilled meat: Turkey. Take a cup of plain yogurt. Grate a small amount of garlic with a microplane and stir it in with a small amount of sauce. Doesn't take much. The yogurt is absolutely transformed into a delicious sauce with no American name. In Turkey they call it haydari sauce, and it is excellent with any roasted vegetables but especially roasted Brussel sprouts.

seattlepitboss

I shred them like slaw then saute. Bacon, pistachios, butter, whatever in them. I think it brings out their natural sweetness better than whole or even halved.
Just saw an episode of Barefoot Contessa that is pretty much what you do. She cut off the bottoms then put thru the food processor with a slicing blade. Sauteed with shallots and pancetta then finished with balsamic vinegar.

Never thought to slice them with the processor. Will be doing that next time.

Back