THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's good smoke. what's bad smoke?? Can somebody post some pictures or videos to show the less-educated what we're talking about?

I believe this to be a great example of TBS (from my 1st cook on my offset).

24ba0a45bb70094c17bc81a9c0d17e8d.jpg

So now show me what good and bad white smoke look like.

isn't using charcoal in the snake method or minion method getting dirty smoke? and when the wood chunks smolder I don't think that is. It doesn't seem like a clean burn when I use it on the kettle.

thankyou sir.

tbs is trendy, and the concept makes sense. and i got very good at making tbs, even down to making my own wood chunks at a specific width on my miter saw with a stop to make sure the size was exact and repeatable.

the more clean the smoke was, the less I liked the food, and then when i started wrapping, it got even worse. that was when I had the idea to try something different. so I went back to that first time on the uds and threw a split on, and wow it tasted great. i wanted to make sure it wasnt a fluke so I did it several more times and its like omg this is what smoked food should taste like- smoky.

First, this is why I genuinely enjoy el luch's posts. I feel as if you take BBQ like an experiment and you're willing to try non-conventional ideas. I like to experiment with my smokers too. I still wish I had a way to answer your question from another thread about the actual humidity % in my kamado. I respect the idea of trying new things and questioning conventional wisdom.

Secondly, I have found that the "bad" smoke is smoke that hurts my eyes when I stick my face in it. The "good" smoke doesn't. (Although both manage to get in my beard to the point where the kids know when I've been cooking because my beard "smells like food".) I typically try to get my face in the smoke before I put the food on so I can tell whether it's the smoke I want.

What's good smoke. what's bad smoke?? Can somebody post some pictures or videos to show the less-educated what we're talking about?

24ba0a45bb70094c17bc81a9c0d17e8d.jpg

This picture has been around for a long time, but is still a good example of what I consider “bad” and “good” smoke.

full

isn't using charcoal in the snake method or minion method getting dirty smoke? and when the wood chunks smolder I don't think that is. It doesn't seem like a clean burn when I use it on the kettle.

It’s probably not as clean as starting the charcoal outside of the smoker and putting it in fully lit, but the burning charcoal preheats the unlit as it burns through the snake, so it does ignite more cleanly.

If you are using KBB it is definitely dirty smoke. Using a decent lump helps quite a bit. Smoldering wood chunks are somewhat dirty which is why you use a limited amount of wood mixed with charcoal.

One of the issues I have with this thread is the title and the OP's position don't exactly match. "Getting away" is different than "is overrated". One says "I'm fine tuning my skills/tastes" and the other screams "sound advice is not sound". That's the way I interpreted the initial set-up.

With that said, I feel the whole thin blue smoke mantra is an excellent way to help those struggling to elevate their "Q" - especially the ones new to smoking. It ranks right up there with "probe tender" and "knife into warm butter". It's a relatable concept designed to teach through the Interweb. I know my food got a hellava lot better once I quit aiming for thick white smoke.

Some final thoughts.... "smoke burps" made me chuckle. I also agree with thin smoke can look blue or white depending on the angle of view. Having tried the charcoal and wood chunk approach I much prefer clean burning sticks any day of the week. Apologies for all the quotation marks. :frusty:

Last edited:
Good night I just read this whole thread at the refinery..... many varying opinions.... I’m of the camp if you like it and your folks like it.... at the end of the day that is 100% all that matters.... right for you may be wrong for me... wrong for me may be right for you... are there really any absolutes .... absolutely not.... but that’s my opinion.... I’m one thT has just always cooked.... I’m not a temp watcher.... a stack police.... nor a smoke guru.... at the end of the day if the ones eating my food like it... it was succcsessful no matter how I got there.... I drive a Tundra.... Tyler has a Ford F-350 dually... the end result is we arrive at the same place we just got there differently.. I was a good cook before I came to this site... I’m a better cook because i came here listened... took what I liked... ask questions.... discarded what I thought was good but did not work for me.... heck I’ve actually had people mad at me.... because they were seeing to many Shirley cooker post.... they don’t even know me.... but it was like a bur in their bottom end..... why would they just not... not read the post.... because it’s himan nature to want our way... aight all that was for free of charge.... I learn from all of you... and most of the time you never even know.... I’m kinda like a thief in the night.... I take what I want and get the heck out of dodge.... I’ll say this
If KBB charcoal is bad..... I am
In a mess........

First, this is why I genuinely enjoy el luch's posts. I feel as if you take BBQ like an experiment and you're willing to try non-conventional ideas. I like to experiment with my smokers too. I still wish I had a way to answer your question from another thread about the actual humidity % in my kamado. I respect the idea of trying new things and questioning conventional wisdom.

Secondly, I have found that the "bad" smoke is smoke that hurts my eyes when I stick my face in it. The "good" smoke doesn't. (Although both manage to get in my beard to the point where the kids know when I've been cooking because my beard "smells like food".) I typically try to get my face in the smoke before I put the food on so I can tell whether it's the smoke I want.

Thank you. I do love to experiment and understand. my goal is bbq that doesnt need sauce but then I realized that Ive been turning my nose up at sauce and that's not right.

My next experiment is one Im actually a little nervous about. Im going to do a hot and fast cook! I like 240° but I want to see what this cooking at 325 is all about.

I'll make a thread about it. lol.

[/IMG]

I think rusty said it best. If it smells good, its probably good. if it smells bad, its probably bad.

Good night I just read this whole thread at the refinery..... many varying opinions.... I’m of the camp if you like it and your folks like it.... at the end of the day that is 100% all that matters.... right for you may be wrong for me... wrong for me may be right for you... are there really any absolutes .... absolutely not.... but that’s my opinion.... I’m one thT has just always cooked.... I’m not a temp watcher.... a stack police.... nor a smoke guru.... at the end of the day if the ones eating my food like it... it was succcsessful no matter how I got there.... I drive a Tundra.... Tyler has a Ford F-350 dually... the end result is we arrive at the same place we just got there differently.. I was a good cook before I came to this site... I’m a better cook because i came here listened... took what I liked... ask questions.... discarded what I thought was good but did not work for me.... heck I’ve actually had people mad at me.... because they were seeing to many Shirley cooker post.... they don’t even know me.... but it was like a bur in their bottom end..... why would they just not... not read the post.... because it’s himan nature to want our way... aight all that was for free of charge.... I learn from all of you... and most of the time you never even know.... I’m kinda like a thief in the night.... I take what I want and get the heck out of dodge.... I’ll say this
If KBB charcoal is bad..... I am
In a mess........

good post.

I think youre in a mess. lol . I kid.

I will not use briquettes, ever, not even for grilling, but some winning pitmasters do it successfully. Harry soo comes to mind.

It's not like this is a difference in preference. This is a guy arguing what color smoke is. The video show what it is and that's an unproductive discussion that only confuses those trying to learn.

I don't even believe lucha libre got that thin smoke with a log in his firebasket.

It's not like this is a difference in preference. This is a guy arguing what color smoke is. The video show what it is and that's an unproductive discussion that only confuses those trying to learn.

I don't even believe lucha libre got that thin smoke with a log in his firebasket.

Noted

Personally I enjoy challenging convention and doing things differently. I've cooked brisket hot and fast, low and slow, fat cap up and down, more smoke, less smoke, etc. I don't understand why someone makes a roux to make mac & cheese when to me it just makes the cheese bland. I don't subscribe to Aaron Franklin's "aerodynamic" brisket theory. Instead I trim brisket sloppy because I believe it makes more nooks and crannies for smoke to cling to. Of course I don't have a three-block line five hours before I open for my brisket, but what do I know?

Like TuscaloosaQ said, we all have to find what works for us and what we like and roll with it. Nobody is absolutely right and nobody is absolutely wrong.

Except El Luchador. He's always wrong.

I honestly thought that white smoke looked blue when it it got thin enough to reflect only the blue end of the spectrum. That is close, but the blue-ish tint has to do with the size of the particles in the smoke stream, not the amount of smoke. Learn something new every day.

I disagree. Depending on the angle you are looking at the smoke from smoke can look white or thin blue from another angle. That is important to know imo. Someone chasing tbs may think they have billowing white smoke when they don't. It may get a newer person to move around the smoker to see it from a different angle. How the sunlight reflects off the smoke impacts the perception of the color of smoke. While tbs is a good indicator, the smell of the smoke tells you more about a clean fire.
I think this discussion is helpful to new cooks as it brought up alot of good information.
While certainly at points el luchador's way of getting people to think ruffles feathers I think overall its been productive and alot of good information is in this topic.

As far as getting tbs with a log. No idea. Never tried it. Suppose I will have to load a log in my uds and find out for myself.

I disagree. Depending on the angle you are looking at the smoke from smoke can look white or thin blue from another angle. That is important to know imo. Someone chasing tbs may think they have billowing white smoke when they don't. It may get a newer person to move around the smoker to see it from a different angle. How the sunlight reflects off the smoke impacts the perception of the color of smoke. While tbs is a good indicator, the smell of the smoke tells you more about a clean fire.
I think this discussion is helpful to new cooks as it brought up alot of good information.
While certainly at points el luchador's way of getting people to think ruffles feathers I think overall its been productive and alot of good information is in this topic.

As far as getting tbs with a log. No idea. Never tried it. Suppose I will have to load a log in my uds and find out for myself.

If you're mostly concerned with the smell of the smoke I don't think dropping a log is going to help at all!

Please do, and it would be great if you posted the results. I understand someone thinks you can't get thin smoke with a log and that my vid was made up lol

Please do, and it would be great if you posted the results. I understand someone thinks you can't get thin smoke with a log and that my vid was made up lol

Dimensions of this log? Bark or no bark? Temperature at heat source level? These are important questions. I have had good results using my 2000F Kiln with logs, and barely getting any TWS.

Back