THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rodomac

Knows what a fatty is.
A buddy of mine has been raising Angus cattle for years and I am getting another side of beef at the end of the month.

They are grain feed in the last 30 days and should be some good eating. We went up to his ranch earlier this summer and he has some good looking cattle. We did this several years and the meat was awesome. It's time to make room in the freezer and keep the smoker stoked up.

What are you favorite cuts or suggestions?
These are mine:
whole brisket
T-Bones
Chuck roasts
flank
Sirloin
Rib eyes
tenderloin
short ribs
Stew and Chili
Ground burger
soup bones
extra bones for the dogs
I am debating on the round and rump as to get it ground or roasts
I also am torn with staying with T-bones and going with porter house or NY strip.
I may even snag the liver and for some beef liverwurst.

1 Ribeyes
2 Brisket
3 Keep the tenderloin whole
The rest I have no real ranking preference it's all still good

It's great to have a couple of farm-to-freezer connections, I do too.

Actually, 30 days of grain finishing is light, 75+ days is common, maybe his heard is well fed up to finish and slaughter.... or maybe for the 30 days the steers are on a hot feed? HERE is a link to a pretty cut sheet, it's at the very bottom of the page. A side of beef is give and take.

Since you are asking about preferences..... I like buying primals, but this would be my cut sheet instructions for a side..... As you can see, I keep regular hamburger to a minimum (I make my own anyway), and I like them to give me stew meat or chili grind. Bottom line is, custom butchering is a lost art....a true meat cutter enjoys it, and probably loves it when a custom order comes through the shop.

1 shoulder clod roast ~14# range (classic BBQ cut)
3 or 4 bone-in chuck roasts
1 rib roast, boneless cut from the small end
Rib steaks, boneless, 5/8" thick, 2/pkg. (my preferred thickness for grilling)
T-bone & Porterhouse steaks, 3/4" thick, 2/pkg.
Tri-tip roast, untrimmed
Sirloin steaks, 3/4" thick, 1/pkg.
Eye of round roast
Rump roast
2 top round roasts, 3# each. (For jerky consider slicing 1/4" thick, 4#/pkg)
2 bottom round roasts, 3# each.
Ground round, coarse "chili grind" in 1# tubes.
Brisket, whole. Full cut, large point, 14# minimum.
Flank steaks
Skirt steaks
Shank on bone
Stew meat, 3#/pkg., 6 packages.
Hamburger in 1# tubes.
tongue
Oxtail
Heart, sliced
Dog bones.

If you're interested in sharing the expenses on any of it let me know. I've got family property outside of waco so get down that way often. Always happy to put some grain finished beef in the freezer!

Back