THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
sleebs
Gave Pitmaster T's weeping ribs a shot for Mother's day, they turned out really dang good. Had the pit rockin' at 270°-320° for most of the time. No flipping, spritzing or wrapping. I did pre-salt 24 hrs ahead of time. I had some MASSIVE babybacks, one of them was 4.7 lbs and tHiCk. The reverse flow cinderblock pit treated 'em well and boy did they turn out good. Very tender, love this cook method. Even the big beast probed like I was poking air. On to the pr0n!

Wife had just cleaned up the kitchen counters and gave me the hairy eyeball when I started pulling out ribs and rub. So I tucked tail, gathered all my stuff and headed out to the back 40...well, back 3 really. Yes, I sure dang do like Miller Lite on a hot day.

OM2V2nKl.jpg

Down to bidnezz with the first of 4 racks.

GTtiCPRl.jpg

I think we're around the 3 hour mark here

seaPD5xl.jpg

You know that foam is hard to get a picture of...and it's not helped by me moving while taking a picture.

Obc3Gcll.jpg

You remember I said these ribs were meaty...right?

dV4psNAl.jpg

This was just 1 rack. *urP* :shocked:

T5HYTLcl.jpg

So yep, all good. Got some nice leftovers in the fridge, sent a rack home with the 'rents. Pretty much will be doing ribs this way forever more.

Last edited:
I lol'd at the hairy eyeball comment - I've sure been there. That looks amazing, and that pit looks like it really gets the job done. Nice!

Thanks guys! This really has me itchin' to do a hot n' fast brisket on it. With Memorial day coming up, I'm expecting to see brisket on sale for some gooooooood prices. Now if I could just get some of my wood to dry quicker!

For all the pholks who are saying "cool pit, wish I had one" well, you can! If you haven't seen the build thread, take a look here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017

My pit is nothing more than stacked concrete blocks, a few steel plates, an expanded metal grate and a few rebar pieces. In an afternoon, you can make yourself a very fancy and capable reverse flow pit for ~$125 that will give $3,000 pits a run for their money and last dang near forever. This is probably the cheapest entry into high-performance BBQ, and it can be built from easily sourced materials that can be found all over the world. I wish I had thought this up back when we were living overseas!

Back