THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My opinion....

Gas and electric add NOTHING to the flavor game except as a heat source. It takes NO repeat NO skill at all to run electric or gas. How hard is it to set the thermostat, start the timer, and go to bed. May as well cook it at home and then have it delivered to the comp. BORING!!!

Let's look into the crystal ball a bit. One person shows up to the cook site, parks the trailer, turns on the electricity, loads the meats into the electric cookers, then leaves to go to the hotel. Later that evening he turns on the cookers remotely via 3G on his laptop from the hotel room. He then goes to bed. The next morning he leisurely gets up, eats breakfast, and then drives out to the site around 10:00. He turns in his 4 boxes and then goes home. Wow, that's exciting.

Learning how to make a good cooking fire and control it while adding flavor much like a spice is a skill that must be learned.

If they start allowing those types of cookers then I'm out.

Russ

I don't know many cooks that are successful at competition BBQ that would run from gas or electric cookers. One of the best lines I've ever read on a BBQ forum came from a Jack Champion regarding a propane only contest a few years ago. I think it was "I only regret that I won't have the opportunity to whoop your gas burning ass!:)". Let the judges determine what good BBQ is.

I know many people "claim" to be able to taste when something is cooked on gas. Great for them, and I don't question they can, but I am not sure my pallette is quite as discerning. If a gas smoker (grill) also used wood chips or chunks for smoke, the smoke flavor is there, otherwise the lack of smoke would be distinct and a difference would be noticible that way. Maintaining tradition is great and I respect that. But allowing additional heat sources would grow (my opinion only) the pool of cooks that might be interested in competing.

And by the way, I cook (don't compete as of now) on a pellet cooker.

I believe it has someting to do with the belief that "True" BBQ is defined as meats cooked over charcoal, lump or hardwood. I tried to find something to that effect on the KCBS web site, but could not.

As far as why it is not allowed in the present...I guess see above, I think folks should be able to deep fry their ribs if they think it will give them the best tasting BBQ.

Bentley, You can thank me for that silly rule that outlaws deep frying. It took me three years to get that stipulation passed, but I got it done. Deep frying has nothing to do with BBQ. They are two different styles of cooking. I have eaten deep fried ribs before and they tasted pretty good, but they sure weren't BBQed ribs.

As for the rest of your statement, that part I will agree with. The rule outlawing gas and electric cookers comes more out of tradition than safety. I have been a KCBS member (off and on) since 1991. I remember when pellet cookers were finally deemed to be legal to cook on. At one time, they were not defined as being legal to cook on.

My opinion....

Gas and electric add NOTHING to the flavor game except as a heat source. It takes NO repeat NO skill at all to run electric or gas. How hard is it to set the thermostat, start the timer, and go to bed. May as well cook it at home and then have it delivered to the comp. BORING!!!

Let's look into the crystal ball a bit. One person shows up to the cook site, parks the trailer, turns on the electricity, loads the meats into the electric cookers, then leaves to go to the hotel. Later that evening he turns on the cookers remotely via 3G on his laptop from the hotel room. He then goes to bed. The next morning he leisurely gets up, eats breakfast, and then drives out to the site around 10:00. He turns in his 4 boxes and then goes home. Wow, that's exciting.

Learning how to make a good cooking fire and control it while adding flavor much like a spice is a skill that must be learned.

If they start allowing those types of cookers then I'm out.

Russ

Well Russ I guess it's about time for you to retire because that type of technology is already here. All you need to do is light the charcoal in an insulated cooker like a Spicewine or Backwoods and control the whole thing with a Stoker. Just load the cooker with your meat, go to the hotel and you can control and monitor the whole thing via Wide Area Network if the contest is in a hotspot or use your smart phone as a modem. Opinions may never change but technology waits for no one.

safety isuues aside(i mean we're talking live fires here)
from a cooking standpoint, if pellet poopers are allowed, then, gas and electric should be as well.

Reaons being, "pellet poopers" use wood as a sole heat source, as opposed to gas or an electrical heating element. Sure the arguement can be made that rather than a person maintaining the heat it's done by an electrically run auger. Not much different than a BBQ Guru or Stoker!?!

It's been said in here previously, it's the cook not the cooker. You can be the best stickburner, pellet pooper, or gas burner in the world but if you can't make it taste good you're not going to win.

I prefer to compete against people at their best to see how my best stacks up. As far as I'm concerned people can bring their damn Jenn Air range from home if that's what they cook their best on. It's not going to effect how I cook my food. I do what I do b/c I have fun doing it.

Just my 2 cents

I believe it has someting to do with the belief that "True" BBQ is defined as meats cooked over charcoal, lump or hardwood. I tried to find something to that effect on the KCBS web site, but could not.

I think that is it. It's been that way as far back as I know and I think it's always been this way.

I believe it to be (above all) a matter of tradition...:thumb: That said I also believe it is the cook...not the cooker ultimately responsible for good or bad BBQ. I say let them in...let the judges decide what tastes better...:cool:

From Wikipedia...

In the United States, especially the southeastern region, barbecue (also spelled barbeque or abbreviated BBQ) refers to a technique of cooking that involves cooking meat for long periods of time at low temperatures over a wood fire; often this is called pit barbecue, and the facility for cooking it is the barbecue pit. This form of cooking adds a distinctive smoky taste to the meat; barbecue sauce, while a common accompaniment, is not required for many styles.[1]

Tradition was the reason they gave at the rules meeting this last weekend. The other reason was safety around home made gas cookers. The question was raised as to how a Rep could verify the safety standards on such a cooker...

Hopefully someone can correct me on this but last year wasn't their a vote on allowing gas smokers which missed passing by 1 or 2 votes? When you have guys already cooking on stuff like CTO's, you might as well allow gas. But as Ford said, you need an emergency shut off. Maybe KCBS BOD is waiting till they can lure some big $$$ from a natural gas company.
I don't think the vote was nearly that close...

Whatever the KCBS decides they better make a decision fast to allow or not to prevent the discussion from festering into a full blown issue. I'm no purist by any means but I'd like to see the KCBS go in a different direction and say not only are gas and electric not allowed but neither is anything that requires power to create heat, meaning so long Guru, Stoker, and anything connected to power. Yes that might hurt some companies bottom line but what is the motivation of the KCBS, money or BBQ?

Disclaimer: I write this as a Guru owner but I would not be concerned if I could not use it since I knew how to BBQ (most of the time) before I bought the darn thing.

Don't get why people are so against pellet cookers? It's really no different then using a guru or stoker. Just a different type of fuel source but same principal. Not to hijack this thread but my FEC-100 is the best solution for me at a contest because I can do 3 meats in one cooker. I used to haul 3 cookers and it wasn't practical. It's also the best solution at home because it's easy to use for my wife.

I don't care if KCBS opens it up so people can compete with anything. Bottom line is we are cooking BBQ and good BBQ will rise to the top no matter what it's cooked on.

Don't get why people are so against pellet cookers? It's really no different then using a guru or stoker. Just a different type of fuel source but same principal. Not to hijack this thread but my FEC-100 is the best solution for me at a contest because I can do 3 meats in one cooker. I used to haul 3 cookers and it wasn't practical. It's also the best solution at home because it's easy to use for my wife.

I don't care if KCBS opens it up so people can compete with anything. Bottom line is we are cooking BBQ and good BBQ will rise to the top no matter what it's cooked on.
I bring out my Lang and cook all 4 meats on one cooker.

Let them cook in the backyard class. In my opinion real BBQ isnt cooked on any kind of gas flame if you want to compete in a professional class you should cook with a wood or charcoal fire.it won't cost them a lot to try their hand and see if they like competing.

cook on what you will. i have no issue whatsover with peller poopers, gas, or electric.
BUT
does anybody that use these start their fire in a chimney?
NO.
so there is the answer to both the difference in using a stoker in say a WSM, AND why electric and gas SHOULD be allowed.

As far as why it is not allowed in the present...I guess see above, I think folks should be able to deep fry their ribs if they think it will give them the best tasting BBQ.

Ford, you are right. It is barbecue defined by the US government.

Barbecued meats, such as product labeled "Beef Barbecue" or "Barbecue Pork" shall be cooked by the direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or the hot coals therefrom for a sufficient period to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecued article, which include the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat. The prouct may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process. The weight of the barbecue meat shall not exceeld 70 percent of the Weight of the uncooked meat. 9 CFR, Part 319, Subpart C, Sec. 319.80 Revised as of January 1, 1985

Sorry....I mean Bently.:redface:

cook on what you will. i have no issue whatsover with peller poopers, gas, or electric.
BUT
does anybody that use these start their fire in a chimney?
NO.
so there is the answer to both the difference in using a stoker in say a WSM, AND why electric and gas SHOULD be allowed.

I know many teams that use charcoal or stickburners that don't start their fires in a chimney. They use torches, weed burners and other means. For that matter you can start pellets without the electric hot rod. Throw some pellets in the firepot add a little gel light and you have fire.

For the record we use charcoal and chimneys as well.

Wish I knew the answers, but I've been a proponent of allowing any and all methods for a long time.

I rather agree with you Rob. However, IMHO, it's where they drew the line
in the sand to help define what IS barbecue vs. how it's actually cooked.

Meaning, if we change the line, what defines barbecue? If someone then
uses their electric crockpot, is the result barbecue? One might debate
that it's better left up to judges. THAT point I'll debate all day long, and
I'm of the judge ilk. If Bobby Ray wants to submit his boiled rib or crock
pot butt in KC Masterpiece, generally I'm fine with it. But if it gets judged
worth a darn, then I beg to differ. I'm of the opinion that they, the
founding fathers of most of the sanctioning bodies, saw the wisdom in
defining what is and isn't barbecue and kept it to being cooked the old
fashioned/natural way, over wood or a wood product.

And how is a crock pot relevant in this discussion, you ask? It's tough
to define the difference between an electric bbq cooker of some type
and something else akin to a crock pot, that's how. It gets very gray...

Frankly, to me, the boiled rib and the crock pot butt, not matter what
sauce you slather on it, isn't barbecue, by definition of what is and isn't
barbecue. It may be delicious, but it's not barbecue, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back