GAB Invitational

We had an invite, but due to high school graduation of a team member's son, we declined...similar type situations and costs may be effecting other teams as well.

Teresa and I may try to drive up Saturday afternoon to see Sled and kick him in the...........................foot. :twisted:
Will bring a fire extinguisher for Jeffie as well..........:eek::eek:
Get in line:tongue:

Seems to me that KCBS should have a list of all winners (team name, head cook name and contact info) from all sanctioned events. Knowing that a handful of competitions require this information for invitationals,I assume KCBS has the rep turns in the winning teams contact information regardless if they are a member or not? (The organizer should have all the info from the registration sheet) As I understand it, one of the benefits of being santioned is that these comps are qualifiers for these invitiationals (assuming it fits the criteria). The santioning body should make sure all the data is available to those organizers that need it.

(A KCBS data entered simple spreadsheet would be a very easy way to manage this if no other system is in place)

I know of 3 teams who have had to work on getting their invitational information themselves for this comp - why were they left off the list? Did KCBS not provide the GAB a list of of the previous year's winners? Did the list contain only have the teams names without including head cook name and address information for all competition winners? (Thinking they could go back and match the winner against member number to get address info - even though team names may not match up to a membership number?)

Honestly, if the organizer is advertising his event as a qualifier... and it meets the team minimum and/or is a state qualifer... it doesnt matter if KCBS has sanctioned it or not. The organizer can send the info directly to the invitational events.

And I would always double check my self and make sure they have it... with the proliferation of teams and contests... probably doesn't hurt for the organizer to do that directly, unless the KCBS sanctioning agreement specifically states they will do it as part of their "package". If that is the case, then I'd call BS with Steph. :) Having said that... there were alot of years that the HoDeDos had a membership, via our treasurer... but not via head cook... so that wouldn't have cross referenced either. Even a current member would have been in trouble at that point... so even using the "current member" idea, is a little flawed on teams with lots of folks by only one of them a member.... potentially.

We had an invite, but due to high school graduation of a team member's son, we declined...similar type situations and costs may be effecting other teams as well.

Teresa and I may try to drive up Saturday afternoon to see Sled and kick him in the...........................foot. :twisted:
Will bring a fire extinguisher for Jeffie as well..........:eek::eek:

The ratio of teams looks about like 2006... so the invitational is about the right size based on the open teams coming... We hope to see ya Kick... well at least we hope to see Sweet T, but you get that alot huh :rolleyes:

Thanks, Andy! I'm sure we'll have a great time over there with you and Kim. Can I take you some more cigars? :twisted: I'll take some scotch, of course, and a cooler of beer too. Can't show up empty-handed now...
"We" is my Q'in, shootin', cigar-smokin' lady - Jean. Hell, you'll like her so much you'll forget about me! :biggrin: Oh, and she's a bourbon girl so we'll take some Jack Single Barrel up - at least. I managed to get a bottle of that here, finally. That is GREAT chit!

From what Bobby/Don are saying it may be harder to get my Templeton now than I thought. Hopefully some of my Iowegian hook ups will still be able to come through for me.:icon_bugeyed

You know you dont have to twist my arm with your cigar choices.:cool:

I'll have some fun stuff in the freezer, but we will make room for anything you want to stash too. Can't wait to meet Jean.... ya know, Kim is a Jean too...

From what Bobby/Don are saying it may be harder to get my Templeton now than I thought. Hopefully some of my Iowegian hook ups will still be able to come through for me.:icon_bugeyed
I'll take my Templeton bottle up then. I got it from Internet Wines & Spirits (http://www.internetwines.com/rws37019.html) for $43, FYI.

You know you dont have to twist my arm with your cigar choices.:cool:
Right! :rolleyes:

I'll have some fun stuff in the freezer, but we will make room for anything you want to stash too. Can't wait to meet Jean.... ya know, Kim is a Jean too...
Sounds good. Yes she is. Quite the keeper!

Whoever can make sure and confirm that Woodfellas is in the Invitational ... might get a bottle of the rye. Assuming Lou's good with that.

Woodfella's is good to host a shot at some point that weekend. Let us know what day/time works best.

Compliments of Templeton Rye!

(we're confirmed for the Invitational now)

Woodfella's is good to host a shot at some point that weekend. Let us know what day/time works best.

Compliments of Templeton Rye!

(we're confirmed for the Invitational now)

Okay, I'm going to bulldoze this one and call Smoke on Wheels for the Saturday shot and Woodfellas for the Sunday shot.

Wow a 30+ traveldor - I am jealous. I only have a 6, real small one. It will be stocked for Friday night.

The only problem is my son thinks I am goign to die by smoking a cigar, and my partner quit smoking for 3 weeks.

At least the liquor can still flow.

I guess I missed all the "excitement" here with teams not being "on the list" for the invitational. You might recall that happened to me a couple of months back... I didn't get an invitation after Warrensburg. I was told by the GAB that they checked with KCBS and they did not have an address for me because I wasn't a member. I checked with KCBS and because we were cooking as Sloppy Creek BBQ for Warrensburg when we won, our team was not on the list and apparently KCBS didn't put two and two together with our names. I got it straightened out and got the invite but what you all are now saying makes more sense for what I had to do to get "on the list". Buncha lazy farkers! I want Steph to get her job back and run the whole damned thing!

Anyone up for a poker game Thursday evening?

P.S. I'll take part in the Templeton and cigar fun too!

Wow a 30+ traveldor - I am jealous. I only have a 6, real small one. It will be stocked for Friday night.

The only problem is my son thinks I am goign to die by smoking a cigar, and my partner quit smoking for 3 weeks.

At least the liquor can still flow.

Hmm, maybe you should tell your son about George Burns or any of the other long-lived cigar smokers. Tell him you're just like our ex-prez and you don't inhale, either! :)

I guess I missed all the "excitement" here with teams not being "on the list" for the invitational. You might recall that happened to me a couple of months back... I didn't get an invitation after Warrensburg. I was told by the GAB that they checked with KCBS and they did not have an address for me because I wasn't a member. I checked with KCBS and because we were cooking as Sloppy Creek BBQ for Warrensburg when we won, our team was not on the list and apparently KCBS didn't put two and two together with our names. I got it straightened out and got the invite but what you all are now saying makes more sense for what I had to do to get "on the list". Buncha lazy farkers! I want Steph to get her job back and run the whole damned thing!

Anyone up for a poker game Thursday evening?

P.S. I'll take part in the Templeton and cigar fun too!

Your situation helped me piece together where Woodfella's invite got bounced. I don't think KCBS had any info on them as Lou's not a member (I think he's going to join now). And you are right about Steph. Last year she posted on the Forum asking if anyone knew Woodfella so she could send the correct info to the Royal for their invite.

I think it's just an easy slight change needed on the paperwork the reps turn in to HQ. Instead of just listing the winning team, list the head cooks name and contact info and the problem should be solved - assuming it's correct and legible. Or, if the winner is a member - a member number should do.

I'm coming out Thursday night to drop off the trailer - but I think I'm going to working part of the day on Friday - so no poker for me.

We had the missed invitation deal last year for the Royal and Jack draw.I made a bunch of calls and nobody knew why etc.The new girls at KCBS were giving me a hard time for calling them to ask about it.(Steph was retired already).When I was posting around the different sites Scottie or Alex figured out that the comp we won either didnt have the proclamation or didnt turn it in.We got in for the Royal and Jack draw at the last minute.Never thought about this contest.It appears to me that there is so many little things that can get missed in the Invitational process that a person needs to check on it to make sure your in well before the deadlines.Part of the learning process I guess.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to bulldoze this one and call Smoke on Wheels for the Saturday shot and Woodfellas for the Sunday shot.

Smoke on wheels isn't cooking Sat. - so that is why I was leaning towards Sunday! I need a Good luck shot for the good luck.:rolleyes: sounds like Wood Fellas is in the Invitational so a Sat. shot would work.... or we can do a 9:47 and 10:33 shot on Sun. morning :twisted:

Back