THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Davey D

I was wondering how long a vacuum sealed pork but is good for. I thawed one in the fridge over the last couple days and it looks ok. It is roughly 6 months old. Too old? Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it depends if it was in a deep freezer or a regular freezer. In a deep freezer I think its good for 12 months but in a regular freezer 6. Did it smell bad when it was thawed? If not I would cook it

A six month frozen vacu-sealed butt is fine. I go longer than that with frozen meats.

BTW, pork right out of a vacuum pack is going to smell bad, even if it has not gone bad. Rinse the butt off well, dry it, and it should smell a lot better.

CD

I think it depends if it was in a deep freezer or a regular freezer. In a deep freezer I think its good for 12 months but in a regular freezer 6. Did it smell bad when it was thawed? If not I would cook it

Huh? Frozen is frozen. It doesn't matter what you call a freezer, they do the same thing -- freeze stuff.

CD

As long as it aint freezer burnt it's good a few months ago I found the Proidgal son of Butts in the bottom of freezer, it had been hiding out for 3 yrs...... it was very tasty after a 9 hr smoke bath and saunna time :becky:

Back