THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm in the "give it a whirl" bucket. I get possibly not wanting to do something out of the ordinary that a person might not do currently like trying sky diving, dancing, yoga, monkey knife fighting, etc :-D. But this is something in the world of what you already like to do so why not experience it and see what it is about?

Especially if you have friends that will be helping that also like said activity!! Get a little weird! Holler if you have any comp questions :becky:

Yea man, id give it a shot if I were you but as suggested try backyard first. There are a boat load of videos out there to get your foot in the door.

I have done 4 comps, all backyard and have placed in three out of four. Plus, as others have mentioned you will meet some of the coolest nicest people ever.

However, it goes without saying that it is intimidating and stressful...prior to the event. Once you are there it is gonna be the fastest day ever as time seems to pass by quicker. Next thing you know turn ins are done and you are cracking a beer with friends.

Good luck if you do!

First find a backyard or local unsanctioned event.
Now if you can take $300 and put it in your hand and release it into the breeze with the thoughts of having some fun and learning something new, then go for it.
If not, stay home and watch it on TV.
Ed
Or judge.

Go for it. Ask questions in the comp section or message me if you need any help.

We enjoy comps. The most stress is before it starts. Once we get there i'm fairly relaxed and excited to see our BBQ friends and meet new ones

First find a backyard or local unsanctioned event.
Now if you can take $300 and put it in your hand and release it into the breeze with the thoughts of having some fun and learning something new, then go for it.
If not, stay home and watch it on TV.
Ed
Or judge.

$300. Where are these contests of which you speak?:razz::mrgreen:

I'm in the "give it a whirl" bucket. I get possibly not wanting to do something out of the ordinary that a person might not do currently like trying sky diving, dancing, yoga, monkey knife fighting, etc :-D. But this is something in the world of what you already like to do so why not experience it and see what it is about?

Especially if you have friends that will be helping that also like said activity!! Get a little weird! Holler if you have any comp questions :becky:
Thanks. You actually met my friend at Suds and Swine; it's what got him interested. The problem is, like others have said, I can't do anything halfway. I'd go crazy. Heck, I'd probably get a Shirley; how crazy is that?

Competition is a blast and I recommend you at least try it. The experience/ideas we learned diving into KCBS from the get go is invaluable and you meet some great people. Put it this way, competition BBQ isn't great food. It's not what we like to cook/eat at home nor what we would feed our friends, family, and hopefully soon to be customers. It's expensive and it takes a long time and a year long commitment to truly be competitive But, it really does teach you to hone your skills to really perfect that perfect bite of BBQ (regardless of weather it is pumped up with injections, MSG, etc.), understand/run your pit perfectly, how to make food look pretty/presentable, and how to hit times.

We are probably only going to continue to do a couple comps a year as we feel that the money is better spent trying to make money. But, I would definitely miss it if we stopped regardless of how pissed off we are when we leave the event :laugh::laugh::laugh: We went in with low expectations, didn't over think it, and actually won a couple trophies over the last few years. That's the only way to do it.

Back