French Bread

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
First attempt at making French bread. Turned out ok, but I should have spritzed it with water as it was cooking to help develop that crispy crust. I put a small dish of water in the oven, but that just didn't cut it.

French-bread.jpg

French-bread-1.jpg

Got to use my bread lame again, only I should have let the skin develop a little more before cutting.

French-bread-2.jpg

French-bread-3.jpg

French-bread-4.jpg

The first loaf was devoured with home made bruschetta (sorry no pics)

I always put a small CI pan in the oven while preheating and just when loading your loves pour 2 cups of water in the pan and shut the door.
Always crusty.
Ed

This is exactly what I do too. I preheat my baking stone and a cast iron pan below for 45 minutes or so. Then, right after throwing the loaves onto the stone I'll pour in water or throw in a handful of ice cubes and have had great results with that

Bread still looks really amazing though Dean!

I do have a baking stone so I will give that a try along with the ci pan with water.

I assume there's no risk of the ci cracking or do you use warm water when you pour it in?

I do have a baking stone so I will give that a try along with the ci pan with water.

I assume there's no risk of the ci cracking or do you use warm water when you pour it in?

Incredibly minimal to no risk. My go to is usually 1/2-1 cup of ice cubes that I just toss straight into the pan. Not sure if it makes a difference over using water, but I've read theories that the ice steams for longer as it melts than just pouring water into the pan

Back