THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Due to a miscalculation on the number of people at a recent event, i ended up with 10-12 pounds of chopped pork leftover. We are having it tonight for dinner but will still have a ton left. I recently got a foodsaver, and was planning on vac packaging the meat in 1-2 lb packages. I was wondering if i needed to sauce the meat before packaging, or if the vacuum was good enough. I had even considered adding a little apple juice/vinegar mix. I didn't want the meat to get freezerburn. Thanks for the help.

I have always had to sauce before freezing in order to prevent freezer burn. ( i have always used freezer bags, or the cheap vauum bags from reynolds) Will the foodsaver prevent that from happening?

I have always had to sauce before freezing in order to prevent freezer burn. ( i have always used freezer bags, or the cheap vauum bags from reynolds) Will the foodsaver prevent that from happening?

Are you using a deep freeze? I have no problem with freezer burn with my meat when using a Foodsaver. Just can't keep it forever.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1421281 said:
Are you using a deep freeze? .
It will be stored in the deep freeze. Thanks for the help. I pulled out 2 lbs of pulled chuckie to thaw for some soup. It had only been in there a month or two and was badly burned and i would hate for that to happen with all this pork.

It will be stored in the deep freeze. Thanks for the help. I pulled out 2 lbs of pulled chuckie to thaw for some soup. It had only been in there a month or two and was badly burned and i would hate for that to happen with all this pork.

I try to keep anything from touching the sides of the freezer. Mine is an older chest model I picked up for a song, no racks or bins. I use cardboard boxes and a milk crate to keep things organized and away from the sides.

Freezer burn is primarily caused by air - if there is no air, no burn.

Don't put too much A.J. or Sauce on the pork; when you vacuum out the air it will
pull the liquid out too and make it harder to get a good seal.

As mentioned above....air is the primary cause of "freezer burn"...so vacuum packing
is the best way to go.:thumb:

Last edited:
I went without the AJ this time, just meat. It went great! I have been using a POS resealable bags from reynolds that have a vacuum, but have never been happy. The foodsaver is great. I did 8 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb bags of chopped pork in no time. While i was playing with it, i portioned out a 10 lb box of sausage patties i got recently into manageable portions. I love that thing. Can't believe i went this long without one.

I am thinking that for the next comp, i can pre-trim chicken and ribs at home, and then vac pac them, and don't have to worry about water getting in the bags like zip-loc.

Back