THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got your rub, glad i came decided to come to work today. Smells good and finger test is good. I am finishing my UDS this weekend and plan on smoking my first fatty and some chicken wings. I will use your rub on the wings and let you know how the they are. Thanks again for the sample.

I was born in Chicago Heights, still have a lot relative in the surrounding areas. Been about eight years since i have been back. I plan to pay a visit soon. Yea, Go Cub's,

BamaRambler

Received and can't wait to try - agree with NWBBQ - interesting with a subtle building heat. Can't wait to try.

Care to share an ingredient or two as I am having a hard time figuring out the one flavor?

Thank you very much - will report back as soon as I can find time to get something in the smoker.

mr wicks thanks for the sample rub what meat are you recomennding we put your rub on ?then i can sampler the rub with the right meat so far taste good sampled my finger lol

mr wicks thanks for the sample rub what meat are you recomennding we put your rub on ?then i can sampler the rub with the right meat so far taste good sampled my finger lol

I've used it on Pork butt, pork ribs, beef ribs, and chicken .....used a modified version on brisket.....also fwiw ......i usually salt before i apply the rub....not a lot of salt in the rub itself....

as far as the best to use....i don't eat pork so i cant say for myself how it works but the locals say its great.....been receiving several request for ribs lately... i know it's really good on beef ribs and chicken....deboned and trimmed some thighs a few days ago....couldnt take pics cause they didnt make it past the grilling area

ok sounds good I have some chicken thighs and a nice tri-tip im going to give a try sunday pics and reviews to happen after that ...

Rub results

Used the rub on some chicken breast and thighs. Used it on some beef strips too. Has a strong Cinnamon or nutmeg smell/taste. Lacks a punch of some sorts. To be honest If I purchased this rub. I would use the bottle but probably not repurchase. I also did some chicken with this rub and then basted with Big Tex Morgan's Chipotle BBQ Sauce. The two together were a good mix.The sauce added the punch I felt the rub was missing.I would see what others think. I just think without a finish the rub looses identity.If you were makng this just for yourself and friends it would be fine the way it is.To market to the masses you may need a little more work.You ask for "Honest" my Brethren Brother.

For starters I want to first thank mrwicks for the rub and the quick shipping, that was awesome.

First Impression: It's pretty good stuff! Much better then anything I've ever made myself but I wouldn't go as far to say it's any better than some of the rubs I have bought in the store. When I first smelled it I thought it smelled a lot like Pappy's Seasoning although a little smokier.

My meat of choice for this review was a small 4 pound pork butt. I rubbed down the butt and set in the fridge overnight. Yesterday morning I fired up the ECB and got my temps around 230ish with a light use of oak for smoke. I didn't want to overpower the rub with too much smoke because I wanted to taste the rub itself. Maybe it was operator error or wood selection but once the meat was pulled and tasted the rub did not stand up to the smoke in the pork. I wouldn't go as far to say the rub was weak but with the flavors of smoke, pork, and coleslaw that I made for a side the rub seemed a little washed out. Maybe I could have used more rub but as the pictures show it was covered pretty good.

I also did not know the rub was light on salt until after the butt was on the ECB and I read it in the other post. Once pulled I added a little salt but it was after the fact so who knows how that affected flavor. I'm guessing not much but for competition level spices a little bit can mean the difference between first and last.

So all in all I would say it's a pretty darn good rub, and yes I would buy it if it was on sale at the megamart. I still want to try it on chicken and beef, maybe roll in with a fatty so look for more reviews to come.

Good job mrwicks, thanks again for allowing me to try your creation. Thumbs up. Now some prizzon for chits-n-giggles...

Pork Butt with rub ready to sit overnight in the refridgerdator...

DSC02219.jpg

Light use of oak...

DSC02222.jpg

On the ECB...

DSC02221.jpg

Done...

DSC02236.jpg

Pulled with a light sprinkle of "carolina style" sauce....

DSC02240.jpg

Finished product with toping of coleslaw...

DSC02244.jpg

Good stuff.

I gave it a whirl on some chicken quarters and breasts with some apple and oak smoke. Overall it was a good rub however I do think it was missing something. I can't seem to put my finger on what that is though.

Thanks for letting me try it! I think it definiatly has potential.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 122
Used the rub on some chicken breast and thighs. Used it on some beef strips too. Has a strong Cinnamon or nutmeg smell/taste. Lacks a punch of some sorts. To be honest If I purchased this rub. I would use the bottle but probably not repurchase. I also did some chicken with this rub and then basted with Big Tex Morgan's Chipotle BBQ Sauce. The two together were a good mix.The sauce added the punch I felt the rub was missing.I would see what others think. I just think without a finish the rub looses identity.If you were makng this just for yourself and friends it would be fine the way it is.To market to the masses you may need a little more work.You ask for "Honest" my Brethren Brother.

appreciate the honesty .......didn't think that it was necessarily a finished product...hence the sample solicitation ....looking more for "too sweet, too salty, not enough salt" type of feedback.... i do understand the different people have different palates so i'm not offended if it's not the rub for you

No pics?

appreciate the honesty .......didn't think that it was necessarily a finished product...hence the sample solicitation ....looking more for "too sweet, too salty, not enough salt" type of feedback.... i do understand the different people have different palates so i'm not offended if it's not the rub for you

well the dude "got wood"
to be honest i had awesome reviews on mine too but not many repeat customers..
maybe it's the packaging,the economy,we're competing w/ known products...
send me a sample & i'll trade you. it's hard to break into a market w/ everything under the sun. i deal in an expensive bottling concept & what i think is a unique product while fitting into a mainstream market.- thats hard to do.send me a dash & i'll reciprocate.

I tried mrwicks rub on a spinach and feta fatty and a chuck roast. The chucky on the left is the test rub.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32394&stc=1&d=1255298746

I think it was a little too sweet for the spinach & feta. Probably would be better with different stuffings. The low salt worked well with the sausage and bacon that brings their own salty taste.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32397&stc=1&d=1255298746

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32395&stc=1&d=1255298746

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32396&stc=1&d=1255298746

I liked the aroma. It did have a nice taste. It was good on the chucky. It could have had a little more salt for the beef. All in all I would use this rub again. I just think it needs more salt for beef but its fine with sausage and bacon. A few minor tweeks would dial it in nicely. Thanks for the sample.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 110
well the dude "got wood"
to be honest i had awesome reviews on mine too but not many repeat customers..
maybe it's the packaging,the economy,we're competing w/ known products...
send me a sample & i'll trade you. it's hard to break into a market w/ everything under the sun. i deal in an expensive bottling concept & what i think is a unique product while fitting into a mainstream market.- thats hard to do.send me a dash & i'll reciprocate.

Take Blues up on his offer mrwick. He sent me a sample of his rub and it was very good! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

It must be the economy Blues because I haven't purchased too many that were better.

Back