THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NickTheGreat

is One Chatty Farker
So we have our annual Citywide Cleanup Days where you can put most anything on the curb and the city will take it. It also brings out the scavengers from all over the county, driving by real slow with truck loads and trailer loads of "stuff."

Anyhow, I was in my wife's car last night going to fuel up and grab dinner when I saw a Weber Performer sitting on the curb down the block from us. I was excited, but wasn't going to put that in her car. Came back, was still there, so I hopped in the truck and went and grabbed it. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

It's not in the best shape, but the price was right.

QajrFv9l.jpg

There's years of caked on crud inside (serial number looks like 2007). Some of which I got out last night, but I need some more time to work on her.

JSS5LZol.jpg

The propane appears to be flowing through the burner tube, not sure on the ignitor. The cook grate is rough and the coal grate is gone! Ash catcher bowl is serviceable and heat control may need replacement or some help at least. But the coal baskets are there and in decent shape. The table top is cracked, looks like too much lifting.

I'd be looking casually on Craigslist for years for a good deal on one. This one looks like I will have what I need for well under $50 with some new parts :heh:

Last edited:
Nice. I just had to replace an ash catcher on an old Performer I got for cheap. The previous owner must have never used it because it was frozen in place. Ended up having to cut the old one out with a dremel.

On the ignitor - I've rehabbed many of these Performers and the only time I've had to buy a new ignitor was when the connector for one of the wires broke. Every other time I just took the ignitor out of the tube and cleaned everything thoroughly and it started working again. There's usually all kinds of buildup in the tube and on the tip of the ignitor itself. I also use the dremel to gently clean the ignitor tip.

Nice. I just had to replace an ash catcher on an old Performer I got for cheap. The previous owner must have never used it because it was frozen in place. Ended up having to cut the old one out with a dremel.

On the ignitor - I've rehabbed many of these Performers and the only time I've had to buy a new ignitor was when the connector for one of the wires broke. Every other time I just took the ignitor out of the tube and cleaned everything thoroughly and it started working again. There's usually all kinds of buildup in the tube and on the tip of the ignitor itself. I also use the dremel to gently clean the ignitor tip.

It looks like this thing was out in the rain for a bit, but surprising the ignitor wiring and such looks okay. And thanks for the tip on the tip.
:-D
I've looked online and seen some pretty bitchin' setups with a wood table top. This may be the way for me to go :cool:

Nice score. A good old fashioned razor scraper will help make quick work of the inside of the bowl.

820909558941lg.jpg

For the table, you might try giving Weber a call. Some people have gotten lucky and Weber has sent them new tables. Or, you might be interested in getting the newer metal table. It's pretty nice and doesn't cost too much.

But yeah, if you have the skills or access to someone else who does, either a wooden table or even a stone replacement table is a nice way to go.

That's a great score!! Take the bottom of the kettle off, remove the one-touch, and ash catcher. Hose it out, really well. Then, spray on some E-Z Off, put it into a garbage bags, and let it sit, overnight. That built up gunk, will slide right off.

Matt

Nice score. A good old fashioned razor scraper will help make quick work of the inside of the bowl.

820909558941lg.jpg

For the table, you might try giving Weber a call. Some people have gotten lucky and Weber has sent them new tables. Or, you might be interested in getting the newer metal table. It's pretty nice and doesn't cost too much.

But yeah, if you have the skills or access to someone else who does, either a wooden table or even a stone replacement table is a nice way to go.

I found some good info online about restoring and they mentioned the razor scraper. Makes sense.

I thought about calling Weber about the table. I like the idea of making one, so I may try that first. :becky:

Back