Franklin's BBQ Sauce (retail) - is Awful?

To be clear, I enjoy the BBQ Sauce recipe in Aaron's book and make it quite frequently. I was just shocked that the retail version tastes absolutely nothing like it whatsoever. I only bought it b/c I assumed it would taste similar to what they actually serve in the restaurant. I'm assuming it's not b/c it's garbage.

To be clear, I enjoy the BBQ Sauce recipe in Aaron's book and make it quite frequently. I was just shocked that the retail version tastes absolutely nothing like it whatsoever. I only bought it b/c I assumed it would taste similar to what they actually serve in the restaurant. I'm assuming it's not b/c it's garbage.

when you give a recipe to a packer they replicate it as best as possible using the standard commercial ingredients.

with most any recipe for bbq sauce there is going to be variation depending on what brand of products are used. different vinegars, mustards, paprika, ect all can play into a different taste. even different brands of seasoning and salt can have different grain sizes leading to more or less being used.

when you give a recipe to a packer they replicate it as best as possible using the standard commercial ingredients.

with most any recipe for bbq sauce there is going to be variation depending on what brand of products are used. different vinegars, mustards, paprika, ect all can play into a different taste. even different brands of seasoning and salt can have different grain sizes leading to more or less being used.

Yup!
This is why we don’t use a commercial packer

There was some conversation re: Franklin's S&P and Lawry's a short while back - maybe on YouTube and not here, can't remember. Either way former partner/employee (?) John Lewis posted this, which many, including myself, interpreted as the Franklin rub.

Parts
8 Coarse ground pepper
3 Lawry's Season Salt
3 Kosher Salt
1 Granulated garlic

Binder of 50/50 mix of yellow mustard and pickle juice. Then apply rub.

Whether its the actual rub or not, it turns out a fine brisket. Try it.

I assume that when you say parts you are going by weight?

I assume that when you say parts you are going by weight?

I *think* this was discussed on the Mad Scientist BBQ YouTube channel a while back. From there I googled my way to the TM article or another posting that gave the 8-3-3-1 mix. Either it said by volume or I just assumed. Not sure which now...

With dry ingredients in a recipe wouldn't one usually go by measure? ie, tablespoons.

Short answer.. no.

Longer answer:
All spices are ground differently by different manufacturers.

Measuring by volume (ie, tablespoons) won’t give you the exact same result each time.

Most rubs that are made time and time again, are measured by weight.
That way, no matter what size grind you get, proportions are the same, batch to batch.

I don't remember where i heard him say it but i recall either an interview or article where Aaron said they changed the sauce recipe since the book was published. I believe he said they were having trouble getting one of the spices and ended up modifying the recipe.

I bought some bottles and thought it was pretty good, so who knows. To me it's very similar to the No. 5 sauce that's posted by a user on the Virtual Weber Bulletin board. The sauce in the Aaron Franklin Masterclass is kind of a fancy version of the No.5 sauce. The No. 5 sauce is mostly a ratio of ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcester sauce, with some rub added.

Last edited:
That's Lewis' rub he talked about in an interview for TM in 2013. It's pretty good! I tried something real close to it last time I cooked a brisket and it was a blast. The picture from the book (larger and with accurate colors: https://i.imgur.com/xMYefCb.jpg)

In the Franklin book, there's a rub recipe and I believe it's in the context of beef ribs, I'm not sure, but Lawry's is mentioned as an option ingredient.

You can take your grandma's 100 year old pasta sauce recipe that everyone raves about; then try to mass produce it and bottle it and it wont be the same.

The same issues come into play with really every food from orange juice to bread.

Its one of the reasons mcdonalds is the biggest burger joint in the world. It doesnt even taste great, but man are they consistent no matter what time, day, and location.

Back