Franklin's BBQ Sauce (retail) - is Awful?

SonVolt

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
SonVolt
Has anyone that's eaten at the restaurant tried Franklin's BBQ sauce that's available at the retail level and can compare the differences? I ordered a 3 pack of his original sauce and long story short - it's not good. Not good at all.. It's sickly sweet with a weird tang... like a cheap bottled stir-fry sauce. It also tastes nothing like the recipe for the same sauce in his cookbook, which I love. Has anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

That's not my experience at all. I'm wondering if there's batch variation at play here.

Is the recipe in his Master Class vid the same recipe in the book?

No, there's variations. Its basically a No 5 sauce, with some additions

Master Class sauce

2 tbs tallow
1/3 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
cup light brown sugar
cup of ACV
3 cup ketchup
tsp paprika
tsp mustard powder
tsp sea salt
tsp black pepper
4 dashes of worcestershire

The book is closer to the PBS series

https://youtu.be/d8wK2GdGG_E

from the book

ketchup
acv
white vinegar
brown sugar
worcestershire
cumin
chile powder
salt
pepper

I don't know what he does in his restaurant, it probably is something diff than he releases publicly.

Last edited:
It's simple : why would he give away his sauce recipe for $10 in his book? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but do people really think what he published in his book is exactly what he does at his restaurant?

I agree.

But he did tell people a LOT about what he did. His impact on the world of barbecue has been tremendous, and its been global.

So what if he keeps a few things to himself, que sera.

It's simple : why would he give away his sauce recipe for $10 in his book? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but do people really think what he published in his book is exactly what he does at his restaurant?

Yes, for 2 reasons.

1) You can't easily replicate the food served in his restaurants at home. It's more about the process & equipment than the ingredients. So offering up alternatives to the house sauce recipe doesn't seem like it's protecting much or harming his business.

2) It's not uncommon for restaurant cookbooks by popular chefs to be scaled down versions of actual recipes used at their restaurants. It's why books like The Babbo Cookbook or The French Laundry cookbook are better coffee table books than actual cookbooks. They just aren't practical to use at home. I was hoping Franklin's cookbook feel into this category.

Because people paid $10 for a book that has his sauce recipe in it?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Actually yeah. If he tells you that this is his restaurant sauce recipe, and you are being charged for it, then it should actually be the recipe.

Yes, for 2 reasons.

1) You can't easily replicate the food served in his restaurants at home. It's more about the process & equipment than the ingredients. So offering up alternatives to the house sauce recipe doesn't seem like it's protecting much or harming his business.

2) It's not uncommon for restaurant cookbooks by popular chefs to be scaled down versions of actual recipes used at their restaurants. It's why books like The Babbo Cookbook or The French Laundry cookbook are better coffee table books than actual cookbooks. They just aren't practical to use at home. I was hoping Franklin's cookbook feel into this category.

In this instance we're talking about a BBQ sauce which is quite easily replicated in a normal home environment. It would serve zero purpose for Aaron Franklin to publish the sauce he not only uses at his restaurant, but also now sells in the stores. Sure, what he put in his cookbook will be an adequate sauce, but it makes no business sense for him to publish his recipe for a measly $10.

Actually yeah. If he tells you that this is his restaurant sauce recipe, and you are being charged for it, then it should actually be the recipe.

I actually went back and checked out his BBQ sauce recipe as I was certain he never said that recipe is what he uses in the restaurant / bottle. I was incorrect and he absolutely is saying the recipe in the book is what he's using at the restaurant and what he's selling in a bottle.

Relevant excerpt from his book :
"This is what I call a sweet sauce, even though it's not terribly sweet on the spectrum of BBQ sauces. It's a good, all purpose sauce. We bottle it, sell it, and put it on the tables in the restaurant."

I still don't believe that's the whole recipe for his BBQ sauce as I feel like it would be silly to give away a recipe that you're actively selling.

I actually went back and checked out his BBQ sauce recipe as I was certain he never said that recipe is what he uses in the restaurant / bottle. I was incorrect and he absolutely is saying the recipe in the book is what he's using at the restaurant and what he's selling in a bottle.

Relevant excerpt from his book :
"This is what I call a sweet sauce, even though it's not terribly sweet on the spectrum of BBQ sauces. It's a good, all purpose sauce. We bottle it, sell it, and put it on the tables in the restaurant."

I still don't believe that's the whole recipe for his BBQ sauce as I feel like it would be silly to give away a recipe that you're actively selling.

Along the same line as "just salt & pepper" on his briskets.

Along the same line as "just salt & pepper" on his briskets.

Curiously enough, the first thing I noticed while reading his book is that briskets are definitely not S&P only, the pictures clearly show a layer of lightly orange stuff on top

FWIW, the excerpt from the book

sd4xkqf.png

Last edited:
Lawry's Seasoning Salt???

There was some conversation re: Franklin's S&P and Lawry's a short while back - maybe on YouTube and not here, can't remember. Either way former partner/employee (?) John Lewis posted this, which many, including myself, interpreted as the Franklin rub.

Parts
8 Coarse ground pepper
3 Lawry's Season Salt
3 Kosher Salt
1 Granulated garlic

Binder of 50/50 mix of yellow mustard and pickle juice. Then apply rub.

Whether its the actual rub or not, it turns out a fine brisket. Try it.

There was some conversation re: Franklin's S&P and Lawry's a short while back - maybe on YouTube and not here, can't remember. Either way former partner/employee (?) John Lewis posted this, which many, including myself, interpreted as the Franklin rub.

Parts
8 Coarse ground pepper
3 Lawry's Season Salt
3 Kosher Salt
1 Granulated garlic

Binder of 50/50 mix of yellow mustard and pickle juice. Then apply rub.

Whether its the actual rub or not, it turns out a fine brisket. Try it.

That's Lewis' rub he talked about in an interview for TM in 2013. It's pretty good! I tried something real close to it last time I cooked a brisket and it was a blast. The picture from the book (larger and with accurate colors: https://i.imgur.com/xMYefCb.jpg)

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 196
Back