THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah, I'm gonna go simple S&P, or just a milder rub for the next rack. On the road for a couple days for work, I'm gonna try and grab a few more racks for the freezer when I get back.

Q:All in all, they were very good for my first time. I did them unwrapped, goal temp of 275* (went as high as 325 for a while), and they were done at the 3 hour mark, which surprised me. Seems the going timeframe was 5 hours, but I was running a bit over my temp. Very tender, not fall off the bone, but bite off the bone. I'd say good enough. What kinda turned me off was the bark, it was a little too crunchy for me. So next time I am going to turn the temp down a bit, wrap at probably two hours, and see how that goes.

On a whim I bought 2 pkg's like you did from Wally World a couple weeks ago. Had never considered it as the're most likely select. S&P on mustard slather, 275-300 degrees in the Klose and done in 3. Since we were 3 hr.out for dinner, I had to wrap in foil, a little Worcestershire and balsamic. Killed the fire so they went back in at sub 200 to rest. I was very surprised at 1)how quickly they smoked and 2) how delicious and tender they were. So short back ribs cut lengthwise at about $15 a pack worked well.
Your final pic's are awesome. Liked the bark. Montreal Steak plus crushed red pepper is my brisket rub, but not beef ribs. I guess you may have overseasoned, but hey! Scrape a little off. (Drool)...:clap2:

Looks like you nailed it. For me, Montreal Steak seasoning is a little much - I like to put it in a spice grinder and make it a little finer and that helps.

Looks like you nailed it. For me, Montreal Steak seasoning is a little much - I like to put it in a spice grinder and make it a little finer and that helps.
I also think it's too salty. I believe there is a low salt version.

I also think it's too salty. I believe there is a low salt version.

^^^Exactly. I use it on my brisket and thicker cut steaks, and it works good. But it is WAAAAAAAY too salty for things like this. As my tastes change with the more I experiment, I find myself getting away from the heavy sodium. It just doesn't do the same thing for me anymore.

^^^Exactly. I use it on my brisket and thicker cut steaks, and it works good. But it is WAAAAAAAY too salty for things like this. As my tastes change with the more I experiment, I find myself getting away from the heavy sodium. It just doesn't do the same thing for me anymore.
I mix my own rubs, but, if I didn't, I have a feeling I would be on the look out for salt-free rubs.
As a rough rule, I measure out the pepper in a new rub recipe, then weigh it and add, at most, the same weight of salt. But, for me, the salt usually still needs to be cut back further.

Back