For those that do whole hog

Wicked Smoke BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
My new smoker will allow me to jump up to doing whole hog for events. How do you figure the size of the hog needed to feed x amount of people?

I typically estimate 1 pound per person. You can adjust downwards if there will be a lot of children. This should yield ~ 1/2# per person, which is fairly standard if it is the only protein.

I typically estimate 1 pound per person. You can adjust downwards if there will be a lot of children. This should yield ~ 1/2# per person, which is fairly standard if it is the only protein.

What kind of hogs are you cooking to yield 50%?

I also figure 1 lb per person but it only yields about 1/3 lb serving per person.

1# per person is the gold standard in North Carolina...and there have been one or two whole hogs cooked in this state.

I would, however, put a limit on the size of hog/party you'll cater for with this format. The smaller the hog, the less quality it'll be for barbecue in my opinion. Give a minimum size limit to the hog...whatever you're comfortable with.

And yes...you won't yield 50%...but the 1# per will get you to where you need to be.

You folks are right, I was thinking 50% yield on butts. Not so much on whole hogs due to all the bones,

Back