THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1buckie

Babbling Farker
Guerry, this is a re-print of me just bonin' up for the Stupor Bowl...........

OK...........been thinkin' about questions about ribs, postings about weather, some other postings about ribs, Stupor Bowl coming up, which indicates ribs need to be done (rain or shine)

Ribs were on sale, thought I got the three pack instead of the two pack, in the planning chess game, counting how much.....counts......turns out it was 22-1/2# .....full spares, 4 racks.....hmmmmmmmmm...................

Let's do two now, two different ways......two some other day & perhaps some backribs alongside those.......the original plan was blueberry / chipote backs for the Stupor Bowl, but the general plan seems to be expanding.......

1st, a bit of a trim..............knock off the chine bone & some of the thinner stuff from around the edges.......
Pre-StuporBowl001.jpg

A reasonable smattering of garlic powder on both......

Pre-StuporBowl003.jpg

The dry ribs get this:

Pre-StuporBowl006.jpg

A lightweight jerk rub, the garlic, Italian seasoning (ground fine) & BACON salt...................

The wet ribs get this:

Pre-StuporBowl008.jpg

BBQ sauce & bread & butter pickle juice............

Pre-StuporBowl009.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl010.jpg

3 layers of foil.............coals like so.............

Pre-StuporBowl011.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl014.jpg

Started at 350f, shut down a daisy vent after a bit to get to 300f..........

Added coals @ 2 hours & checked the packet.............

Pre-StuporBowl023.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl028.jpg

At two hours, 40 minutes, began the glazing with the sauce from the packet.....

Pre-StuporBowl029.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl030.jpg

Every 8~10 miutes, pouring a coating of juice over the flat.......yeah, it's messy......I'm a mess.......no wonder the cookers look like they do..... :roll:

Pre-StuporBowl031.jpg

Last dump:

Pre-StuporBowl032.jpg

Result:

Pre-StuporBowl036.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl038.jpg

Bite thru & gentle pull off the bone @ 3 hrs. 10 min.

Pre-StuporBowl043.jpg

Now......what about those "other ribs"?

Started in about 1/2 hour later.......trying to get the wrappers done so the wife could have dinner in some reasonable time ( 6:10 PM....ONE RIB !!!)

This set:

Pre-StuporBowl015.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl016.jpg

Let it go for a bit, then bridged the gap to the unlit coals............

Pre-StuporBowl018.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl025.jpg

Pre-StuporBowl019.jpg

Rotated the grate & added another part of a row of coals @ 3 or so hours......was this a mistake, a miscalculation, a fopaw?
Don't know......add in some coals & keep moving........

Pre-StuporBowl026.jpg

Ran @ more or less 250f for 5 hours, set the spent foil from the other ones under these to keep the bottom from getting blackened.....

Pre-StuporBowl034.jpg

Result (same bite thru & pull as the others....at 6 hours):

Pre-StuporBowl044.jpg

Bad Photo....................

Pre-StuporBowl046.jpg

However, as Elston Limehouse says:
".....but when it do.....boy,it is a sweet, spicy, smokey, juicy, tender piece of heaven......if I do say so myself.............

PS: Cloudy with semi-threat of rain all day.......................

Back