For a new 250 gallon trailer pit, who would you use and why?

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm looking at a bucket list trailer smoker and I don't need or want one massively oversize for normal cooks. I do have an old thick 500-gallon propane tank I would love to make into a smoker but, a 250-gallon model will do 6 to 8 briskets and probably a larger 'poundage' of Boston butts so I doubt I would ever come close to needing more capacity. I will keep at least one of the two patio smokers I have today which are pretty big in their own right and could always be pulled in for a bigger cook if that ever came to pass.

Things I know I want:
  • 16" tires
  • axle with brakes
  • axle width to match cars, pickups, and SUV tire widths
  • shelf in front of the smoker doors to set stuff down
  • grate level smoke collector with a foldable stack
  • insulated firebox (at least an inner and outer 'skin' for general safety reasons)

Things I might want:
  • ramp to take my motorcycle on the wood & ice chest storage side
  • 2 5/16ths ball hitch (to match other trailers)
  • loackable storage locker
  • security tabs on the smoker and firebox
  • sasuage rods
  • better grates?
  • sun/rain roof?

What else do you suggest? Other thoughts on a solid build? I have a soft shoulder but, 250-gallon pit doors aren't that heavy.

I'm initially thinking Austin Smokworks or Primitive Pitts but, I'm open to other builders. MillScale and Moberg are obvious but, they are clobbered with big builds right now so a small trailer isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Perhaps Johnson or Blackline but, I'm wanting to stay traditional. Shirley Fabrication is apparently dabbling in these as well.

I'm realistically looking at an early 2023 build right now based on the build schedules I have gotten but, I want to "lock" in my place in the build schedule by the end of the year so I get my new smoker while I'm still young and healthy enough to enjoy using it!

TIA,
Sid

Mill Scale doesn’t build 250s. I’ve had people comment saying my 250’s doors seem light, not sure why but they are easy to open. Fully custom I’d say ASW or Backline. I have gotten away from the shelf built in the smoker, I rather just put a table wherever I want it. Easier to clean and upkeep and you have total control of it. Plus with the Backline all of the grates slide out. I would also check with El Cucaracho, I have a quote from him for a 500. Have always enjoyed his work and his queue is about 10 months right now.

I quite like Primitive Pits and Fatstack. I reached out to Primitive the other day and they told me late May. So maybe June 2022 at this point?

These are the two I'd be looking at as well if I wanted a pit that size. The fatstack backyard smoker has caught my eye too. Curious to see how they come out.

These are the two I'd be looking at as well if I wanted a pit that size. The fatstack backyard smoker has caught my eye too. Curious to see how they come out.

I have a 120 on order 😃 won’t see it until March 2023 though lol

Hah I put my deposit on one too...unless my wife finds this account, then I definitely did not commit to another smoker for our backyard.

😂 my wife is going to seriously question my sanity when I likely order a workhorse 1975w in a couple months so I can get it first and compare the two. I promise I’ll only keep one! Probably…

Interesting to hear they aren't that backlogged. 7~8 months isn't too bad.

My favorite BBQ spot in Missouri has a primitive pits 500. Makes some amazing stuff and is a very cool pit. The owner absolutely loves it. He had a 250 gallon east texas smoker company reverse flow before and considers it to be quite an upgrade in regards to quality and final product. Not sure if any of that has to do with the size difference though?

I am on the build list for a moberg 250 gallon trailer due sometime July 2022, got in just before Sunny had to raise his prices. It was a hard to decide between primitive and moberg. I love the look of both, but I can drive from AZ to Texas in a day to pick my pit up. The 288 gallon pit that Fat Stack ink Cali is building looks great too. Good luck, and can’t go wrong with many of those builders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

😂 my wife is going to seriously question my sanity when I likely order a workhorse 1975w in a couple months so I can get it first and compare the two. I promise I’ll only keep one! Probably…

If you ever wanna check out a Shirley Reverse Flow I'm not far from you I assume (based on your forum location). I'm in South Overland park.

Want to go hit up Harp BBQ at Crane Brewing and try their food and check out their pit.

Big Phil’s Smokers in Caddo Mills, TX. He does a lot of 250s.

Big Phil’s Smokers in Caddo Mills, TX. He does a lot of 250s.

I forgot about his 250s. He just recently raised his prices but his 250s are still pretty close to primitive in price. His 500 now starts a whopping $3200 over primitive which is why I’d crossed him off my list. In my opinion he does make the best looking pits I’ve seen though!

If you ever wanna check out a Shirley Reverse Flow I'm not far from you I assume (based on your forum location). I'm in South Overland park.

Want to go hit up Harp BBQ at Crane Brewing and try their food and check out their pit.

Oh heck ya. I didn’t even look. I’m in the Liberty area but it’s close enough. I’ve been wanting to make it there too and would love to check out your Shirley!

I'm not looking for hard quotes but, what sort of price range and delivery dates are these different smokers in?

An "average" ASW 250-Gallon trailer seems to be in the ~$9.5K range and they are backlogged about a year. I realize no two builds are the same but, a rough "average" price would be helpful to people who need to narrow down the choice to options within their price ranges and budgets. Maybe this sort of "guide" exists somewhere and I have just haven't run across it yet?

I'm not looking for hard quotes but, what sort of price range and delivery dates are these different smokers in?

An "average" ASW 250-Gallon trailer seems to be in the ~$9.5K range and they are backlogged about a year. I realize no two builds are the same but, a rough "average" price would be helpful to people who need to narrow down the choice to options within their price ranges and budgets. Maybe this sort of "guide" exists somewhere and I have just haven't run across it yet?

I was sent this nov 5th and told it’s good through the end of the year.

Attachments

• 250 PRICESHEET 10.13.21.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 35
Back