THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For these, I use Paint Shop Pro, I had a license for Photoshop, but, somewhere along the line, I lost the software and found I don't need it anymore. There are others, like Gimp which is free and works great. There are functions in Photoshop that I wish I had still, I may yet re-up that license. But, for my blog, PSP is more than enough.

You do not need a DLSR, there are many Point-n-shoot cameras that can do this also. And they are cheaper. I was going to get one of those, buy, I was given the DSLR on long term indeterminate loan.

I either work off of my laptop monitor or a LCD monitor. Since I am working for digital publication, I use the normal settings and am not to particular about the color. However, if I was going to use the images for printing, then I would bother to calibrate my monitor for use with color separation. However, at that point, I would be creating TIFF images from RAW image files and not the JPG's you see here.

But, color correction for print publication is far beyond my skillset, I would say that CD or Northwest BBQ are the guys you would want to chat with at that point.

I either work off of my laptop monitor or a LCD monitor. Since I am working for digital publication, I use the normal settings and am not to particular about the color. However, if I was going to use the images for printing, then I would bother to calibrate my monitor for use with color separation. However, at that point, I would be creating TIFF images from RAW image files and not the JPG's you see here.

But, color correction for print publication is far beyond my skillset, I would say that CD or Northwest BBQ are the guys you would want to chat with at that point.

Ever broken a negative down for four color offset printing?:wacko:

Ever broken a negative down for four color offset printing?:wacko:

That's the old way. It's all direct to plate, these days. I send CMYK .pdf files to the printer's pre-press people, who go straight from .pdf to printing plate.

The hard part is converting the RGB files that cameras make into CMYK files for four-color printing. It is pretty easy on some shots, but some colors don't convert well, so you have to try to make those colors look right.

Since computer monitors display RGB, you don't need to mess with that step for posting online.

CD

That's the old way. It's all direct to plate, these days. I send CMYK .pdf files to the printer's pre-press people, who go straight from .pdf to printing plate.

The hard part is converting the RGB files that cameras make into CMYK files for four-color printing. It is pretty easy on some shots, but some colors don't convert well, so you have to try to make those colors look right.

Since computer monitors display RGB, you don't need to mess with that step for posting online.

CD

I'm feeling really...OLD now...for some reason.

I am old too, PDF you say. Last time I sent images to a printer they wanted those special Adobe postscript files.

Back