THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
I figure this is a Q-Talk subject, since we all like to see photos of food, and we all like to see ones that are, at least decent. I recently had the chance to shoot some food for an event that Matt and Charlotte were doing at Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland (and yes, they are Brethren). I was quite pleased witht the shots.

All of these shots were set with the white balance on my camera set for incandescent lighting. Although the restaurant is primarily lit with fluorescent lighting, the area I decided to shoot is under the warming lights and it has a redder overall tone.

candybacon_zpsdb32681d.jpg

This shot had a couple of great elements, because the background of the shot is more than 8 feet from the subject matter, I was able to get a fairly dark background, the actual subject sat on a glass sheet, this created the reflections, which grounds the shot. I was shooting with the camera aperture wide open, which gives a smaller range of focus, blurring the unfortunately placed cornbread, making it just a little fuzzy actually lets it add interest to the image.

smokedbelly_zps7957d565.jpg

Same basic setup as the prior image, since I was using such a short depth of field, and was trying to shoot an entire plate, I opted to focus on the front of the plate, moving the most interesting element forward, letting the other element fuzz out a bit. There has to be at least some area of a shot in a shot that is clearly focused, but, you can let other parts of is become a little more vague, this actually gives the image depth.

somethinginsmoker_zps8365ce36.jpg

baconprep_zps1ce4086b.jpg

If I were to use these images for a blog post, or to tell any story, it is always good to get some working photos, especially since we are as much about the cooking process as we are about the eating. Showing a little of the background of the production makes the story more complete. These images were edited some, as I found that with the smoker shot, the actual presence of smoke and overall darkness threw the details a bit, by adjusting the contrast and lightness, I was able to bring forward a little more detail. The stove shot presented the opposite issue, the stainless wants to push the exposure to be too light, by adjusting the lightness down, and pushing the contrast up, the stainless is muted and the bacon story is more focused.

baconwrappedburntend_zps9e34ef5f.jpg

A very simple shot, the entire idea here is to present the food as the primary element. I tried to create a similar sense of depth, while bringing the food to the eye as the focal point. The issue here, dark background, dark foreground, dark meat, the plate and the brightness aided greatly in creating the necessary contrast, making the meat pop. Other than cropping, there were almost no adjustments made to this photo.

phatbeastie2_zpsaf622592.jpg

I think this is one of the best images I have ever shot, pulling every element and technique I have shown to the fore. I did try to get the top of the bun composed into a parallel line with the sandwich, so as to hold a sharper focus on the entire sandwich, the peppers are really quite blurry, but, work much like the reflections, in setting the foreground, they actually create the depth for the image, making it seem more real.

All of these shots were shot with a Canon EOS 40D, 50mm f1.8 lens, lighting as existed, no supplemental lights or reflectors, hand held and during service. Focus was autofocus, but, I tend to use the screen that has the little diamond indicators to show what is focused on, then I focus first, then compose in the lens, this allows me to control what is focused while still choosing composition. I do try to limit cropping and shoot full screen.

All of these shots were shot with a Minolta EOS 40D, 50mm f1.8 lens, lighting as existed, no supplemental lights or reflectors, hand held and during service. Focus was autofocus, but, I tend to use the screen that has the little diamond indicators to show what is focused on, then I focus first, then compose in the lens, this allows me to control what is focused while still choosing composition. I do try to limit cropping and shoot full screen.

Did Canon sell the EOS brand to Minolta?

Great pictures, Bob!

Incidentally, from time to time, I see people ask what happens if you smoke a pork belly that has not been cured. This is what happens if you smoke a pork belly for 5 hours at 225F or so.
smokedbelly2_zps69fc498f.jpg

This did not suck. However, this photo shows the effects of a lot of adjustment, in order to get some texture into the bark, I had to mess with the color balance and lightness too much, which shows horribly in the yellowing of the juices on the cutting board. I could do some spot editing and avoid that, but, I am too lazy and I really want to get to where I take better raw shots.

And here is another shot, that I felt was not as successful as the ones in my first post.
pie_zpsd6bed5ed.jpg

I didn't get the background to drop quite like I had hoped. And I would have liked the entire slice of pie to be focused, the crust blurring like this really takes away from depth of field. I should have forced the aperture a little more closed, but, I guessed wrong.

I just did a post with a smorgasbord of food that I've cooked to catch up on it, but my pictures aren't as great as those. Wish you'da been there to photo mine because all that looks amazing!

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Yes Titch, it was a good photo shoot. I thought good enough that the images might be good enough to share my thought process behind each one. I hope some find it helpful.

Beautiful photographs, and great explanations to go with them, Bob! Making me hungry again looking at all those goodies. :hungry:

Back