THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was planning on trying a butt this week using this method but am concerned about adding some sort of liquid when I foil. I love a nice dark firm bark mixed throughout my pull and am afraid that by foiling and adding some apple juice mixture I will soften the bark. Thoughts?

It does soften the bark, but I think the benefits of foiling outweigh the down side in a competition. It's much easier to get tender and moist pork with a more predictable timeframe through the stall and a color that doesn't continue to darken past that beautiful mahogany color.

As I said, when I cook for myself and my family, I like the darker crustier bark, but for competition, I get much better results with foil. Both ways can produce very tasty BBQ.

I smoke them for about 8 hours until the bark is where I want it, then double wrap in foil for about another 2 hrs/until the bone pulls out easily.

Back