:flame: UDS- Loin, Ribs and Wings help :flame:

Hotrodguy_34

Name or Nickame
Brian
hey folks,

while my temp does fluctate some in the UDS, I can keep it close to 235-250 for close to 4 hours before it starts to jump around..

I am doing a 4.5lb pork loin, 2 racks of Baby back ribs and about 3 lbs of wings this weekend on my UDS.

the Porkloin is about the same size as the last one I did and it took about 6 hours to to get to 165 internal temp (i like it on the drier side) but I am injecting it with bacon grease this time around and doing a bacon weave on top.

the ribs last time took about 4 hours and ive never done wings but it says about 2-2.5 hours on as well.

Im planning on loading my basket completely full and throwing in about 5 chunks of hickory.

i have never used lighter cubes .... how many do you recommend? and since im using a full basket of charcoal and never done this much meat at one time

anyone have suggestions or tips for a full load in the UDS this weekend?

Using Kingsford Long Burn charcoal and plan to use a ramp up method to get to around 225 and then slowly peak around 250 and hold

should i put the loin on the bottom rack since it will not get disturbed as much?:flame:

Sorry I can't help with the lighter cube question. I light my UDS basket using the minion method (light 10-12 charcoal briquettes in the chimney and sprinkle on top of the basket. Not sure of the size of you basket, but you shouldn't have any trouble cooking this meat with one basket load. A fully loaded drum doesn't consume much more fuel than cooking a single item. My only advise, you can inject and wrap that loin however you like and if you still cook to 165 IT, it will still be dry. Loins don't need to be cooked past 145 IT.

My basket it a old helium tank and riddled with holes on the sides and bottom is cut off and sits on a wire mesh

I use the minion as well in the center of the basket (leaving a small gully to drop the hot coals down into. I’m considering starting on the side of the basket or do you believe the middle is the best idea?

The loin I did in the past was still decently juicy when I took it to 165 IT surprisingly but I completely understand what your saying. I may wrap it to halfway through the cool to help keep juices in as the ribs and wings cook above

Another thing I haven’t done yet is use my top rack so I’m wondering if my ribs and wings can go on later as it will obv be hotter at the top of the drum

Have never measured the temp at top rack (about 4 inches down from lid)

My main rack is 8” down from top (24” from top of charcoal)

I should also include I use a 13” pizza pan as a diffuser for heat

If you cook a pork loin to 165, you are missing out on a tasty, moist and juicy treat. Try removing it at 140F, then rest on the counter for 15 minutes. Carryover cooking will take it to a safe 145-150F. A little pink in the middle is a good thing on a pork loin. There hasn't been a case of trichinosis in the US in decades, so no need to cook to such a high temp.

I would aim for a cooking temp in the 275-325F range if you want your wings to turn out decent. Cooking chicken at such a low temp will turn the skin into rubber. I've never used lighter cubes, but would suggest using more lit charcoal from a chimney at the start of the cook to get up to the 275-325F range easier. Maybe try 15-20 lit coals at the start. The big issue I see with most UDS builds on here is the intakes aren't large enough to support higher temp cooking, so depending on your build, it may be difficult to maintain anything over 250 or so due to lack of air intake volume.

Back