First Turkey on my new Woodwind. Tips?

kiva822

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Matt
Greetings

I have a 20lb turkey thawing in the fridge. Picked it up on sale after thanksgiving and deep froze it.

For turkey prep:

Spatchcock
Dry brine
Time in fridge exposed to dry skin out
Sage oil rub on and under skin

Normally I'd do 325 until done, but I'm trying to figure out the new smoker. First, the wood species... I got a delivery yesterday:

ac191823652b7fd0c2f70cf4b12125d1.jpg

Couple each of

Apple Blend
Hickory Blend
Pecan Blend
Char-Hickory
100% Hickory

I'm thinking maybe the pecan blend? Smoke on 10 smoke setting for, what, 45min? then turn up to 325? I'm going to be doing a gravy pan under the bird, if that matters. This is the main thing I don't totally get yet is how long to keep the temp low to get some smoke on the meat and then what to leave the smoke setting at once I'm doing the main part of the cook.

Any tips? The woodwind has smoke settings from 1-10. When I smoked a brisket w/ hickory pellets I did smoke @ 170 or so (probably too low in hindsight) for like 10hrs. it was oversmoked, IMO.

Anyway...if anybody has any basic ideas of how to structure it on a pellet grill - even with woodwind experience - i'm all ears. Thanks.

Last edited:
Much like chicken, I've found the best way to do turkey on grill/smoker is to spatchcock it, so that's a great plan. Always comes out great!

That bird looks great. How was the smoke flavor on the mak? Wood species? Does the mak have varied smoke settings?

I thought about quartering it and long-smoking maybe one of the breasts. I've never done that before and have no idea. Is it a cold smoke to get "smoked turkey"?

Whenever I do a search for 'smoked turkey' it just gives me the regular turkey threads...

Found a pic from last thanksgiving. Done on a Weber gasser at 325.

28a8d63720ce5c5143bf092720e633ad.jpg

The smoke is mild and pleasant, LJ perfect blend for the fuel. I never did nay of that other stuff, I prefer moist to over smoked.

Back