THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
The wife cannot eat beef and since she is away... guess what was on the menu! :clap::clap:

So I went to my local butcher to see if they carried Tri-tip. It's quite a rarity in my neck of the woods so I was clearly thrilled to find out he had some! :clap2:

So I picked up a 2.5lbs piece of PRIME tri-tip and off I went!

I decided the menu would be tri-tip with Chimichurri, sauteed veggies and corn on the cob. Here is how it went...

Chimichurri was whipped up in about 10 minutes. Simple recipe of flat parsley, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, garlic, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, red wine vinegar and EVOO.
chimia.jpg

On to the tri-tip - still in cryo...
rawcryo.jpg

Cut it out, rinsed it off and this is what I got...
rawvt.jpg

raw2.jpg

Time to season this sucker...
I started off with a nice coat of kosher salt and cracked peppercorns. Then topped it off with some Smoking Guns Hot.
rubbed.jpg

rubbed2.jpg

I let the tri-tip sit and sweat a little and fired up the BGE. I just cleaned it out this afternoon for just such an occasion! Once I got it close enough to the desired temp...
tempuh.jpg

It was on the grill for the sear! This was a great opportunity to use my Ceramic Grill Store PS WOO w/ spider attachment and the BGE cast iron grate for some super searing!
ongrillraw.jpg

A few minutes later I flipped it over and looky what I got!
sear.jpg

I finished up searing the other side and then roasted it indirect at around 450 degrees. Threw in some white oak mini MOJOBRICKS for smoke flavor. Thin blue was in full effect...
eggbluesmoke.jpg

Brutus patiently waits...
brutusp.jpg

Tank on the other hand is stoic in these times of great food conquests!
tankn.jpg

Let that roast away for maybe 10-15 minutes until I got an internal temp of 120 degrees.
searroasting.jpg

Stick a fork in her, she's done! Time to rest for 10 minutes...
resting.jpg

While that's resting, its time to work on the veggies... A nice mix of spanish onion, jalapeno, mushrooms, green pepper, and zucchini...
veggiess.jpg

Into the pan with some EVOO to saute...
veggiescooking.jpg

Alright! Time for the moment of truth... Let's cut this sucker open and see if I hit a homerun or screwed the pooch! Here is the first cut!
firstcut.jpg

Needless to say, I was pleased with the results. Let's slice this sucker up for dinner!
slices.jpg

And now for the money shot. Here it all is plated.
plated.jpg

I couldn't agree more Tank...
lickinglips.jpg

Thanks for looking... This was a fun meal.

Now for tomorrow... I have leftover veggies, chimi sauce, and tri-tip. It is going to make one HELL of a sandwich!
leftovers.jpg

Last edited:
Jaskew82. THAT is a Mighty Fine Tri-Tip! Those are some Super sides! Looks like you did everything to Perfection! And those Pup's take the cake!

Excellent post Sir!

Lookin' great! Tri-tip is so good when properly prepared.
I do the same when my wife leaves town. I try all kinds of stuff. She was at her Mom's this week so I cooked to Paella's and finished turning a 20lb brisket into 3 Pastramis. She doesn't understand why I am so happy when she leaves for a bit!! :)

Lookin' great! Tri-tip is so good when properly prepared.
I do the same when my wife leaves town. I try all kinds of stuff. She was at her Mom's this week so I cooked to Paella's and finished turning a 20lb brisket into 3 Pastramis. She doesn't understand why I am so happy when she leaves for a bit!! :)

My wife knows that when she is away... I will play. But only with my meat... :icon_smile_tongue: Wait, that sounded wrong. :oops:

Nice job on the tri-tip!!!
That looked like a real nice one.
I will have to try the chimichurri. I've never seen that before. I cook tri-tip about 3 to 4 times a month. Love them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Nice job on the tri-tip!!!
That looked like a real nice one.
I will have to try the chimichurri. I've never seen that before. I cook tri-tip about 3 to 4 times a month. Love them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

My experience with Chimichurri is limited. I only discovered it a few months ago when I was in Miami and stopped in an Argentine steak house. It blew my mind.

Back